1. Vintage Vibrations Registered Guest

Hi,
    I am a vintage clothing seller who has been contacted by the owner of a 1930s real Leopardskin coat. He has contacted me regarding selling and appraisal of this coat. I am aware leopards are a protected species now and would like some information regarding possible sale of such a coat and its approx value. It is in perfect condition and a very expensive copat of its day.
    I would be greatly appreciate any inforamtion you can offer me in reference to this enquiry and any recommendations you can suggest.
    Many thanks,
    Sharon Martin
  2. pauline Registered Guest

Try and get some proof of the age first to protect both of you. Sorry cannot help any more.
  3. Hattysattic Trade Member

Hi Sharon,

As far as I know the problem with leopard is that it cannot be sold overseas, and possibly not over state borders? Some US sellers will probably be able to be more specific about that. So if you have a buyer lined up then maybe it's a more sensible purchase, and depends whether you wish to sell online or from a bricks and mortar shop!

I'm sure someone else will weigh in though, as I don't deal in fur or know enough about US law to know real the pros and cons. So no real help at all, but hello and welcome anyway!
  4. Patentleathershoes Registered Guest

Harriet is correct.

It is not legal to sell a leopard skin coat or pelt in the United States. It also cannot be sold over international lines (exported). In many cases, other countries recognize the same endangered species laws as well. Therefore, internet sales range from impossible to risky. As she is coming to you for advice as a professional, that is what i would tell her. With some species, age of the coat matters, but in this case it doesn't.

In some limited cases, a leopard skin item is able to be sold within a local area providing that the owner has the original documentation to prove its age (an original sales receipt that was often kept for insurance purposes or in limited cases an appraisal for home owner's insurance dating to when the coat was purchased). IF that can be absolutely documented in a way that would stand up under law and not just anecdotally or for example not just stating that a particular label was only used certain years, ownership might be able to be exchanged within a very local area.

I would recommend to this person that they enjoy the coat (as it is not illegal to own), pass it to a family member (legal to inherit or exchange within a family), or contact a local museum if an exhibit calls for it. (if it is truly the age she states it is - then a clothing or deco era exhibit may possibly be interested).

If the pelt is in poor shape or the person is looking to sell not for the sole purpses of making money but because they just feel funny about owning, The Audoban Society and the national humane society take used furs and put them to good use in their wildlife rehabilitation program.

If she is upset that the item was "pricey in its day" therefore should be worth some money - very simply times and tastes have changed. Just like some old coins appreciate or depreciate in value based on how in demand they are today. It is not a sure investment.

With some species, when a coat passes the 100 year old mark, in some cases more can be done with them if they are documented, but that will be up to what the laws are at that time as well.
  5. BagDiva Guest

hey!!! after the leopard debacle with Lorri from ritzy retro recently, we were reliably informed that if the leopard skin was pre 1947 (don't ask me why) it was ok to sell it without a license!!! and this was from the police, soemthing and fisheries...l know l know!!

but got to prove it though l guess...any providence?