1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Alfred Shaheen

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by eel, Jan 5, 2009.

1. eel

eel Registered Guest

Alfred Shaheen dies at 86
    I just missed him at a Hawaiiana show a few years ago, came the next and his daughter was there as he was too ill. Lost my chance to meet him and have him sign some pieces. So sad

2. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

The design prints on his dresses were just beautiful. He will be missed.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'd love to see photos of everyone's favorite Shaheens.

I've posted most of the Alfred Shaheen label items I've sold on my blog here.

His death makes me covet his clothes all the more!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Aloha,

This is not a really great photo, but it's a great dress. It's a 1950's Shaheen I wore to an event in Honolulu last summer. I bought the dress in SF last June.

[​IMG]

The company went out of business in 1988, when Alfred Shaheen retired. Here's a good link about him:

http://www.alfredshaheen.com/shaheenhistory.htm

Linn

5. denisebrain

That looks very flattering Linn!

6. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

[​IMG]

Pretty hum? On glamoursavvy.com

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Stunning!!!

Linn

8. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

Great idea! Maggie, your blog entry is terrific. Can't believe how many you've assembled. That psychedelic pake-muu (is it called that if it's short?) is adorable! And I love your dresses, Linn and Pam. Such great examples.

I'm not usually particularly fond of his 70s things, but I thought this four-piece silk ensemble was gorgeous. The Asiatic lily appears on the back of the skirt, too:

[​IMG]

A 50s sun dress with a print inspired by one of Savage's murals. Sold it for a friend:

[​IMG]

And one from his Kiilani line:

[​IMG]

C'mon, everybody! Let's see some more!

9. denisebrain

COVET!!!!!!

10. Maggie, I was just going through your blog - have I mentioned how much I love it, your fabulous vintage and most of all: the way you put things together and model them!

You've reminded me that I set up a syndicated feed for it on livejournal ages ago, and of course it hasn't been updated because when your URL changed, I forgot to change the feed...I've just put in a request so it should be fixed soon. I suspect you read LJ (bygonefashions, perhaps?) so if you, or anyone else is interested, the feed is called "denisebrain". Here is the link. Other livejournal feeds I've set up previously include:

Bowerbird Vintage
    Dorothea's Closet
    Vintage Fashion Guild
    and of course:
    Circa Vintage Clothing.

I read most of my regular blogs through LJ, it creates an easy one stop place. If anyone else would like their's added, please let me know. My personal livejournal is user name "frou-frou" but I only use it for non-vintage stuff. I'll happily add an VFGers that want to read it though! Sorry about the off-topic comment, it didn't start out this way...

Nicole

11. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Very sad news. he was a Master, no doubt about it.

Off to read Maggie's blog.

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Maggie, did you see Lei's and Teresa's?? they're on the SPLURGE thread...

13. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

14. Teresas Treasures

Teresas Treasures Registered Guest

My newly acquired 50s Alfred Shaheen Holomuu with a fishtail back:

[​IMG]

15. laurakitty

laurakitty Registered Guest

That's gorgeous! I love his work- I wish I had more of his pieces. Awww, this makes me sad...