1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportswear Workshop ~ Part 1: Intro and Bathing Suits

Discussion in 'Sportswear 2008 by Fuzzylizzie' started by fuzzylizzie, May 30, 2008.

1. joules

joules VFG Member

The content is so rich here, Lizzie, and will provide many hours of enjoyable study. Thank you very much, for this incredible presentation.

2. dandelion*vintage

dandelion*vintage Registered Guest

I'm away from my regular computer today, but here are two swimsuit photos I'd like to contribute.

The first is a page from a 1930s Chicago Mail Order catalog.

[​IMG]

I have always been very interested in the vintage swim shoes, but have never come across a pair. So it was really cool to see some examples here.

Here is a photo of some bathing beauties here on the beach in Strathmere NJ during the 1940s.

[​IMG]

Carol

3. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

This is fabulous workshop, Lizzie! Thanks SO much!

Here are a few images from my "sold" archives...

An early (1915?) swimsuit that had stockings with it.

[​IMG]

An early 20th C. beach hat:

[​IMG]

1930s child's beach pajamas

[​IMG]

A 50's Jantzen suit

[​IMG]

60's red plaid suit with no label

[​IMG]

60's Gabar
    [​IMG]

Rubber bathing cap

[​IMG]

"Peter Pan" 70's Beach or Pool Pajamas

[​IMG]

Jen

4. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

I just can't quit looking at the pictures on this thread! Thanks so much to Lizzie and everyone that contributed to this part of the workshop :spin:

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Lizzie, this is fantastic!! Loving the information and the pics and the contributions from everyone.

I have several pics to contribute too, but it may take me a bit to find them.

Lots of fun Lizzie - thank you!

Sue

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Sue, thanks, and take your time!

Tina, those pages and quotes from 1940s magazines are great. During the war, many designers looked south of the border for design inspiration. But I bet you knew that already!

Maggie, that is a wonderful set. I bet these were sold as seperates, and the original owner loved the print so much that she couldn't stop at just one! Maybe she bought the shirt to wear with white slacks, or possibly to go over the dress???

Carol, it's great having you here! I love the Strathmere ladies. Do you collect Strathmere memoribilia?

Carrie, I think your cap is from the 50s. That fringy look sort of mimicked a shingle harie cut. As for cleaning, I've got a few with discoloration too, and nothing I've tried works. I'm afraid to be too aggressive with them as the rubber is easily damaged.

Jen, that early beach hat is really wonderful! I believe that your rubber cap is older than Carrie's, 30s maybe. What was the closure like?

I've loved looking at all the swim goodies!

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Found these suits in a Sears sale catalog from the 30s showing suits and headgear...

[​IMG]

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Linda, are you sure those are not from the 20s? I'd sure love to order those tennis shoes!

9. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Lizzie, the strap was missing from my rubber beach cap, but it had some type of button/button hole closure, as I recall. It's long-ago sold. I did not realize it could be as old as 30s, wow! I am pretty sure I listed it as 60's. Oh, well!! :rolleyes:

Jen

10. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

There is no date on the catalog but when I posted some pictures here quite a while ago, I thought the catalog was dated to the 30s. Let me see if I can find out.

11. Thought I'd add a few with a couple of questons as well. These are pieces that I've had a long time because I just can't bear to part with them yet.

First this cotton suit that is lined with heavy cotton knit. I've always thought it was 30s, can you confirm that Lizzie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this Rose Marie Reid that I've just always liked.

[​IMG]

And, last but not least, this bark cloth set. Would you say 50s?

[​IMG]

12. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Candy, those are all wonderful.

I'd say yes to 30s on the top one. Is that a zipper?

Seriously, nobody did a better 1950s bathing suit than Rose Marie Reid.

And yes to 50s on the bottom. Are there any labels, or was it custom-made. Tres chic!

Please, continue to add photos as long as you have things to share!

Lizzie

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

good heavens, Candy, that bark-cloth set and the Rose Marie are absolutely divine. no wonder you can't part with them!!!! :wub:

14. Thanks Mary and Lizzie, glad you both like them.

Lizzie, yes that is a zipper on the 30s suit. The barkcloth has no labels so I'm guessing custom made. One of these days I'll take new photos of them and sell them but they're just so yummy to me I can't do it yet.

15. bycin

bycin Guest

wow and wow!