1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for Lilli Ann princess coat that needs buttons

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Mar 30, 2017.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

The coat in question is in my seamstress's possession right now or I'd take a photo. It is black wool with black velvet stripes placed vertically on its "skirt." The sleeves are wide and deeply cuffed. It has nine rather ordinary 1 1/8" buttons down the front (single-breasted); they look like this only with narrower rims:

il_340x270.434444961_ozxi.jpg

Almost all of the buttons are chipped. My seamstress is 80, and once worked as a clerk in a department store's suit and coat department. It is her opinion that the replacements might best be black velvet-covered buttons, but she can't find any black-backed metal buttons. I agree with her that a shiny metallic back could look tacky. I'm not sure if a velvet-covered button is such a good idea because of wear-and-tear possibilities. I also wonder if it isn't better to replace these with something as similar as possible.

Questions:

Would you replace the buttons with something very similar to the ones on the coat, or go with something else? (I should say, I'm not certain these were the originals, but I believe so)

Is there such a thing to be found as a black-backed metal covered button? If not, is it possible to coat the metal?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I would replace it with buttons that are simular to the ones you have shown. You probally could find something nicer.

I think you might have a problem matching the color of the velvet jacket.

3. denisebrain

That's a good point Chris, all black velvets are not created equal.

Finding 9 good vintage buttons that are rather ordinary in appearance is my next problem...

4. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

9 buttons ughhhh. What is the size?

5. denisebrain

They are 1-1/8"

6. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I will look in my hoard of buttons.

denisebrain likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Good luck, Maggie...I'm sure you will find some, it might just take awhile. It sounds like a lovely coat!

denisebrain likes this.
  8. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Perhaps ask Joanne @Gilo49 if she has anything that would work? She had an enormous stock of vintage mint on card buttons at one time.

denisebrain likes this.