1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OSCARS are TONIGHT - Plus photos!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

And its a Sweep but not a full house for Million Dollar Baby...

Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, and Best Picture...

With Jamie Foxx as Best Actor for Ray
    Costumes by Sanday Powell for the Aviator
    and Best Supporting Actres Cate Blanchett as katherine Hepburn in THe Aviator.

More pics tomorrow...and good morning to everyone in the UK who will be awake in a few hours (4:40 AM GMT right now)

2. Patentleathershoes

As far as the guys....the one that stood out the most for being a litle different was Prince...who never disappoints expectations for wearing purple...

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I actually thought it was a pretty good show. Definitely shorter than other years. (Jonathan, you should've stuck with it).

Wow...Clint Eastwood's mom was there. 96 years old.

Chris I agree, on the yellow. okay, I've got stuff to do that I didn't get done the past 3 hours...see ya later!

Sue

4. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Darn, I missed all of it! I'll have to start looking for pics on the net tonight. I'll comment on the few that have been posted here. I like Natalie Portman's dress, but don't think it's terribly flattering on <i>her</i> --- not a great color for her and needs a bit more in the chest area to really make it work. Rene looks fabby glam, but why did they have to ruin a perfectly good dress with that Mrs. Santa Claus Moonlights at the Bordello trim? Kate Winslett's is ok, but reminds me more of something found on a pageant runway, and I hate the hair. But I love her anyway! ;)

5. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

for those who want a look at the red carpet shots

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/mini/oscars2005/2005/02/27/cojooscarsfashion/

A few Meow comments from me too :)

Noticed: yellow is the IT color to last year's green.

Hilary and Halle both flawless. Speaking of low backs, did you catch Melanie Griffiths back?

I liked Scarlett, Julie Delpy's dress's cut fit her figure perfectly also Cate Blanchett's, Annette Bening, Beyonce totally 80's earrings :)

loved the fact that Jamie Foxx's daughter Corinne wore gloves,

is it me? or did Gwyneth's dress look a bit rumpled? Drew I think looked good, I liked her hair. Charlize just looked like the top of a wedding cake bride doll but the more I see it, the more its growing on me :)

I love Virginia Madsen but dont think that dress, earrings, hair flattered her. Regina King mmm no, when your tummy is bigger than your bust you shouldnt wear things that are slinky and tight. I love love love that color on Kate Winslet.

Natalie Portman's dress yes, I like the cut, the way the shoulders are rolled...something of a wood nymph...she looks great in it, every time I look at more photos of her wearing this dress I like it more and more, someone proud to show off her small breasts, yes!

Zooey Deschanel's young look. Loved Johnny Depp. Salma Hayek's dress too busy. Is Gisele expecting? If not, what are those flaps sticking out of the sides of the dress? I think that dress would have been gorgeous without the extras.

Im so glad Morgan Freeman won!

And now Im going to have to see The Motorcycle Diaries!

6. And the winner in the Best Red Carpet Slideshow goes to.....

This site!

:USETHUMBUP:
    being as it is the only site I have found that acknowledges the fact that more than 10 people showed up at the Oscars.

7. Patentleathershoes

I forgot...add Penelope Cruz to the yellow wearing list...

8. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I loved Maggie Gyllenhaal's dress. Grey was a very popular choice this year, and I think they all pulled it off really well (Helen Mirren included).

Bucking the trend here, I didn't like that colour on Hilary Swank. It made a beautiful dress look a bit dull IMHO......:no:

I still can't believe I stayed up 'til 5am watching it.....*snoozes*

Liz

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The whole 'give then their Oscar in the aisle thing':

It looked like they had set up a 'not quite good enough' ghetto down there.........

Having the nominees for some of the design awards all on stage together - that was odd, but it didn't bother me too much

Hollis

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That is a good site Marie... there were more men's disasters than women this year, I thought. You can't beat a classic tux and bow tie but apparently the men are trying to get creative... and it doesn't work. Also too many skinny women were wearing strapless dresses which make them look like they have bee sting boobs and scrawny arms, and a few large women were wearing tight bias dresses that show off every lump and curve to ill advantage... Those corset-like midriffs are still strong and I really don't think they work, especially if you don't have an hourglass figure. They thicken the midriff and make your hips and boobs look small. Charlize Theron was surely up there in one of the best gowns though - she looked fantastic!

11. noir_boudoir

noir_boudoir Registered Guest

OK, I missed all of it, but I'm busily flicking thru photo galleries and here's the verdict (not that you have to be interested!)

:USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP: - another fan of Natalie's dress here - I think it suited her, and made her look really unusual. Awful on someone else, great on her. Liked her hair thingy too.
    :USETHUMBUP: :USETHUMBUP: - Maggie Gyllenhaal's dress is the only one I *want*!!

:USETHUMBUP: - Kate Winslet's dress - not spectacular, but a great colour on her

:USETHUMBUP: - Kirsten Dunst - thought she looked very 'old Hollywood'.
    :USETHUMBUP: - Julie Delpy's earrings.
    :USETHUMBUP: - Cate Blanchett. Amazing. I mean, if I ever see her *badly*dressed, I'll fall over.
    ;) - Charleze Theron? Clearly the only one who came dressed for a Royal-Imperial-Wedding-of-the-Century.

Alright...
    - Halle's silver dress
    ... erm.

<i>BOooooring</i>:
    - Penelope Cruz. Totally forgettable
    - Hilary Swank - I agree with Liz, could have been mind-blowing. Wasn't.
    - Gwyneth Paltrow. Er, what was that again?

:BAGUSE:
    - Salma Hayek - another dress her mother picked out for her. Don't let her do it Salma!!!
    - Melanie Griffiths. Cripes.;)

12. Patentleathershoes

Gwyneth is notorious for choosing things that don't suit her, the year she won was an exception. I feel bad for Stella MCCartney having had her dress very high profile and then it really not create any type of stir.

Overall, I was waiting for an over the top Bjork type of moment and there just wasn't one this year...it was more about people wearing things that didn't quit fit or suit them versus someone being extremely bold and daring to make a bold statement.

I think last year there were more vintage gowns at the Oscars as well and there were not too many that I remember, or that I recognized as such, this year.

13. schoolsgirl

aaah yes! Helen Mirren, I had her on my list :) she's been one of my favorites for many years

well, imho the thing about Hilary Swank's dress is that the color is different or not the 'norm' for gowns, like for instance that very famous dress Princess Diana wore, it was a similar color, yet, the cut and style on that body fantastic!

14. schoolsgirl

Salma Hayek - another dress her mother picked out for her.

hee! took the words out of my head, I was thinking what in the world is all of that *stuff* going on with that dress? are they trying to cover stains or holes with all of those appliques?, then I thought that perhaps that style was just not for her body, she doesnt seem to be very tall

15. Melanie Griffins's "antonio" tatoo:no:

16. Isn't Selma from Wales? Is that a Wales accent?

17. And the winner for "Worst Performance at the Oscars" goes to Antonio Banderas.
    Bad, embarassingly bad. (Although Santana was great)
    Counting Crows was a very close second in this catagory. They suck live.

18. Patentleathershoes

Disagree. I think it was Chris Rock.

Granted, i missed the opening so cannot judge that.

19. Chris Rock dissed my boy Colin Farrell so Chris is on my :poo: list.

20. noir_boudoir

noir_boudoir Registered Guest

I've met Colin Farrell. He was wearing a towelling robe at the time.

Quite short, actually.

(no really).