1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True Vintage 1930s 1940s Dunlap New York Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Charyl, May 9, 2015.

1. Charyl

Charyl Registered Guest

1.jpg

Research information taken from: http://thefedorachronicles.com

Dunlap Robert Dunlap received his first job at the age of 12 in 1857 as a general office boy for Charles Knox of Knox Hats in New York. Soon the boy graduated to the ranks of the hat salesmen, and several years later was still selling Knox hats, his salary having risen to $12 weekly. Ambitious, he asked for $15, and when Knox refused the raise the angry, Dunlap left to start his own business. Thus began the famed Dunlap hat company, founded by a onetime Knox errand boy. By the late 1890s Dunlap Hats was known for the quality of its high end “formal” hats, such as top hats and bowlers. Indeed, Dunlap succeeded in turning out the blackest derbies ever known, the Dunlap hat eventually outsold the Knox in Manhattan. For many a year small hat-makers held up their spring lines until they could see and imitate the Dunlap derby and the Knox felt. As for Knox-Dunlap competition, both the Knox and the Dunlap businesses declined in the second decade of the 20th century and in 1918 Dunlap was acquired by Knox, though hats under the Dunlap name continued to be produced.

2. Charyl

Charyl Registered Guest

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Charyl,

That is a lovely hat, and I love the color. I am not sure that it dates from the 1930s, perhaps it dates from the mid to late 40s. It could even be early 1950s. For us to find the label useful for the Label Resource, we need to pin down a date for the hat.

Can you tell us what the hat is made of? Is it a natural straw, or a synthetic straw, plastic straw, cellophane straw (which is what it looks to be from the photos), etc? Is the flower original to the hat (it looks to be somewhat later than 30s or 40s). Is the ribbon a synthetic or natural fiber velvet? Of course, it is difficult to date something without having it in hand to inspect.

I have had 2 hats made of a similar pink cello straw or synthetic/treated straw with similar shapes as yours. Similar, but not the exact same. Those hats dated from the later 40s to possibly early 50s.

Thank you for submitting the label, it as I do not think we have that label in the resource.