1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweed~ VFG Fashion Parade for week of October 27th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by thespectrum, Oct 27, 2013.

1. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Tweed

Ever-popular for cooler weather, vintage tweeds provide a certain refined, traditional old-world insouciance like no other fabric. From the VFG Fabric Resource:
    With origins along the Tweed River bordering England and Scotland, the name tweed now is associated with a long list of fabrics, characteristically woolens, but also wool/manufactured fiber blends. The original tweeds were hairy and rough, now they are usually shaved, flattened and fulled in the finishing process. Still characteristic is the fairly coarse wool from which it is made.

Tweeds are usually in twill or plain weave, also seen is herringbone and basket weave. Their colors may be plain, heathered, marled, checked or plaid. Slubs are characteristic of some tweeds.

The name tweed is said to have originated in about 1840, when a London cloth merchant erroneously noted a consignment of “tweel” (Scottish name for twill) as tweed. Since the fabric was (and still is) made along the River Tweed, the name fits well.

tweedoct.jpg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

One of the things I love about tweed is that it can look rather conservative from a distance and draw the eye in as you get closer. Case in point, this women's jacket. It is so luxe to the touch, I suspect there is some cashmere involved
    [​IMG]
    And a look up close:
    [​IMG]

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

This late 60s/early 70s pants suit is New Old Stock - if the cuffed elephant bells fit me, they would be in my closet
    [​IMG]
    And a closeup of the shirt-style jacket
    [​IMG]

And a close-up of a 60s tweedy skirt suit done in eye popping orange and pink
    [​IMG]

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

50s black, red and green mohair tweed coat
    tweed.jpg

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. EndlessAlley