1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE!! Mostly OT - Can you help identify and date these movie stars?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Elsewhere, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

*** UPDATED IN LAST POST! ***

Going through my Papa's estate, we came across this old photo. It appears to be a movie studio group photo of a whole lot of movie stars. We figured this item might do better on ebay than at the estate sale.
    My guess right now is very early 30's -- I'd appreciate your input!

I think we've identified a few -- Lon Chaney, Clark Gable, Mickey Rooney.... a few that I'm not sure about such as Carole Lombard (blond at lower right? Other suggestions?) and possibly even my very fave, Joan Crawford. There are several other faces in there that I recognize, but can't think of the names for - the guy holding the brown cowboy hat in the center row, just to the right of the middle... the guy standing & pointing near the post at upper left... and many more.

Can you help?
    This link has thumbnails -- click on those for REALLY big pictures (not for the faint of computers!).

http://www.elsewherevintage.com/moviestars.htm

Also -- I've shown a penciled name on the back - can you read it?

Any help is appreciated! THANKS, all! :roll:

2. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

they look so familiar many of them..boris karloff third from left on back row....l shall send to my mum..

3. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

LOL funny you should say Boris Karloff -- I was just about to go back and edit my post to add him!

4. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Kristine, I recognize some faces but cant recall the names. I do see Raymond Massey, back row 3rd from right/2nd from right on the other photo, with his arm around the guy next to him.

Also is that Don Ameche next to Mickey Rooney?

5. Laura

Laura Alumni

Kristine, the photos aren't coming up for me. I keep getting "The connection was reset" errors. :(

Laura

6. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

That's so odd, Laura? They seem to be coming up for others -- I wonder what the difference is?

I'll post the thumbnail links here -- maybe you can access them directly:

<a href="http://www.elsewherevintage.com/photo2.jpg">
    [​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://www.elsewherevintage.com/photo1.jpg">
    [​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://www.elsewherevintage.com/photo3.jpg">
    [​IMG]</a></p>

7. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I am pretty sure that is Bela Lagosi, 5th in from right/back row on the first photo.

8. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Oh Don Ameche! I never would have gotten that one, but looking at the hairline, especially, I do think that's him! :USETHUMBUP:

9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yes - I did see Don Ameche!

10. Laura

Laura Alumni

Your whole website is down for me. I can't see the thumbnails, or link directly to the photos.

Maybe the problem is on my end. Maybe my firewall doesn't like your site for some reason...

Laura

11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Grrrr Laura! I'm sorry! I wish there was something I could do....?

12. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I think that's a blonde Bette Davis above and to the right of Don Ameche. And I want the coat the woman to her right is wearing!! Very cool photo!

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The big guy with the black hat might be Tom Mix.

Hollis

14. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Jody -- I posted this on Vintage Corner, too (I need all the help I can get!) and someone else suggested that Betty Davis was the gal just right off the middle (center row) with the black hat.

Hollis -- Tom Mix! I think that's it!

15. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I don't think that gal in the center is Bette. Take a look at this early photo of her. She had bleached blonde hair in the 30's.

Bette Davis

I'm wondering if the gal in the center or the other one in the center with the striped shirt is Mary Pickford.

16. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Top row - 5th guy from the right looks like Buster Keaton. Big guy kneeling at center front looks like Fatty Arbuckle.

17. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Could the handsome fellow - center back row - with the handkerchief coming out of his pocket - be Rudolph Valentino? And the woman to his right looks like Irene Dunn. Do you suppose the swanky blond standing on the right side is Jean Harlow?

18. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Someone on Vintage Corner suggested that Mary Pickford might be the first gal in the top row -- just right of Boris Karloff.

Off to check out your other suggestions! Thanks!

19. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Other suggestions -- Top row, the handsome fella in the dark suit with the white kercheif -- Douglas Fairbanks. Mary Pickford to the left.
    I'm almost certain that the gal to his right is Joan Crawford. I'm a huge Crawford fan (that's her in my avatar!) and I've poured over gazillions of her photos.

20. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Ohhh she DOES look like Irene Dunn, too! but I still think it's Crawford ;)