1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE!! Mostly OT - Can you help identify and date these movie stars?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Elsewhere, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It sounds like Universal Studios more or less started in 1912, although it was one of those organizations that evolved and merged rather than a was founded in one shot. So it could be a 20th anniversary shot.

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

OK Jonathan, I could never argue fashion with you, but old movies...maybe a more level playing field.

Vincent Massey (1887 - 1967) already had a long record of service to his home country of Canada when he was appointed the country's first native-born governor general in 1952. From that point onward only Canadians were named to that honorable position, and the Canadian identity was forever changed from a British protectorate to an independent nation that could stand independently.

Massey was born Charles Vincent Massey on February 20, 1887, the son of Chester D. Massey and Anna Vincent, in Toronto, Canada. He was born into the wealthy Massey family, whose business legacy had been established by his grandfather, Hart Massey, who had amassed a fortune expanding the business interests of Massey-Harris, the farm-implement company his own father Daniel Massey had begun in 1847. Massey's brother was Hollywood actor Raymond Massey, whose best-known work included his portrayal of President Abraham Lincoln in the movie Abe Lincoln in Illinois.

He also played James Dean’s Dad in 'East of Eden' and
    portrayed Dr. Gillespie in the 1960s weekly Dr. Kildare.

Actually the TV series Dr Kildare is where I first remember seeing him. Later I saw him in the other movies mentioned above. LOL... funny the things we remeber, but I was sooo in love with Dr Kildare (Richard Chamberlain) as were all my little girlfriends. The Dr Gillespie was such a wise father figure. I have always liked Raymond Massey because of that role.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It's funny how hard the blond actresses are to identify without their glamour hair and makeup

Hollis

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll try to do some more research on this after my hectic weekend and follow up.

I want to add that I did find some pics of Carl Laemmle that showed him from around the correct time period that really do look spot on. I'll try to find it again when I return.

I wish I could have found more dated pictures of Mickey Rooney -- I think that would really help with concreting a date!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

LOL I thought it was VIncent Massey who played Lincoln.... my bad
    Do I lose points for being a Canadian because I thought an actor was our Governor General but our GG was Lincoln??

7. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I don't think you lose points Jonathan. After all we had an actor who was Govenor of California and then President of the US! Now we have another actor as Govenor of California. Many politicians are very good actors!

Oh and Kristine if you list this on ebay, be sure to let us know so we can watch. We all have a vested interest now!

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would have thought that it is indeed Raymond Massey, the third man from the right in the top row, he was a well known actor from Canada who actually played the role of Abraham Lincoln. He starred in many film roles.

His most famous role was unquestionably in Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1938).

I think that the 2nd man on the left in the 1st row may be a very young Edward G. Robinson?

9. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

So i finally got around to listing this photo under my husband's ID -- thought y'all might like to see how it went!
    (sorry! I forgot to let you know when I LISTED it! I know some of you wanted to watch it!)

http://tinyurl.com/35mdwb

Of course -- I haven't heard a PEEP from this buyer since the listing ended... so cross your fingers for me!

10. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

That's a fantastic ending - and I wouldn't worry too much about the winning bidder he seems to have a lot of feedback so I'm sure your payment will come through.

Congrats!

11. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

the blond ein the white coat and beret, looks like carole lombard wife of clark kent..(ummm, clark gable!! LOL)

l think l'll send this to my mum..
    it will give her hours of pleasure tyring to sort them out!! LOL

she would have to join up to view this would she??

12. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

WOW! Kristine, that is great! I sure had lots of fun with this puzzle!

13. Laura

Laura Alumni

Looks like I'm late, but I finally got your picture to show up for me - I love it!

I asked Seth about it since he knows so much about movies, but he's the first to admit that he's better with later (50s+) movies. He thought it could be Mary Pickford fourth from the left in the top row - he mentioned that she had a baby-face so she would look much younger than her actual age. He didn't think the man on Mary's left was Valentino, but he didn't have a suggestion about who it was.

Seth also noted that Fatty Arbuckle did have a come-back later on (after his arrest), but he didn't think that was him in the photo.

Sorry to be so late, but I'm glad to have finally seen the photo. Thanks for sharing it!

Laura

14. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

reply from my mum this evening...she was not impressed with me l can tell!!

"sara,
    third right at back Ramnond Massey: Half kneeling front right Don Ameche and the cowboy is Will Rogers...some of the womens faces are so familiar but cant find their names in my memory bank...mum would have known them all but a bit before my time I think I must have been about two!"

oooppsss..
    and l think you've got those ones already!!

sara x