1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT: For Film - Mia Farrow's Beaded Headpiece

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by filmvintage, Jul 18, 2013.

1. filmvintage

filmvintage Registered Guest

Hi,

We are in preparation for an art deco 1920s film, and we are looking for a beaded headpiece, similar to what Mia Farrow wore in The Great Gatsby (1988).

Do you own something similar or know where we may find it?

Feel free to let us know - thank you so much.

Attached Files:

• hat1.jpg
      hat1.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
    • hat2.jpg
      hat2.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I do hope one of our members can help you out with this. Wish I had one for you!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

Thanks for coming to the VFG for your search. Finding an original is a very tall order, they are quite scarce as you already know. And Mia wore a reproduction so ......

I do have a very workable suggestion if you have a costumer or wardrobe person who is handy with a needle. Find yourself a 1960s dress that has been trimmed across the bust, or sleeves, collar, or hem with rows of Aurora Boralis (AB) crystals. Mia's headpiece in the film used this very same technique of rows of AB crystals dangling. The end result will be quite realistic as the weight of the leaded crystals and glimmer will replicate Mia very well. And it is really fast and easy and the hard work has been done for you already by the original seamstress. Simply cut the rows of trimming and sew to your own fabric bandeau or cloche. Voila!

I have used this for several clients in the past, and everyone was very pleased with the end result. You can scour Ebay for 1960s evening or cocktail dresses that have damage and can be bought for a good price. I know there are some new (made in China) glass or plastic beaded "Flapper" headpieces on Ebay that may look similar and may suit your needs, but they look pretty fake in the hand and do not hang with the same dangle and weight as real crystals.

This is just a suggestion. Good luck!

Art C. Packrat likes this.
  4. Great idea Barbara!

I've come across originals before, but I find the issue is that they tend to be very small - modern heads are larger and this is a garment that needs to be precise in its fitting or it will not sit right. Unless you're fortunate to have a very small headed actress, I think the idea of making one is the way to go.

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Not sure if I may put this but there is one on Ruby Lane.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think I have a 1980's version somewhere, it would be metallic silver or gold, with long strands down the back of the neck - would only work if your outfit used either of these in the colour scheme I would think.
    Alternatively our Haberdashery sells this glass beading trim in many styles so as suggested it wouldn't take much to put one together in the colour of your choice.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Foofoogal,

Can you please share how we may find this on Ruby Lane? I would very much love to see it but I am not able to find it by searching. If you cannot provide a link then perhaps the seller's name or some way to find it such as the item title? Thanks!

8. foofoogal

removed by foofoogal.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Thank you! Yes, I saw that one. I think it is new or not very old, and definitely not 1920s. The beads might be plastic, or light weight glass strung on fishing line. The seller does not say much about it or what it is made of. I see those around on websites fairly often, usually for less money too. My guess is it was made fairly recently or in the 1990s. Nice for a costume I suppose, but I personally don't think it would work for Daisy. She needs crystals!!

10. foofoogal

You would know. You can flag it I think as a customer. Sorry, I just saw it and reported.

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Foo Foo,

That's OK, I was just commenting on it, and I think the costumer may appreciate seeing it even if it is not vintage. Who knows, she may like it! I am not registered on Ruby Lane and I would not flag it anyway unless it was some grievous error. We appreciate any input from everyone here. :cats:

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Just saw an interesting brass chain skullcap on ebay with purple glass beads that purports to be authentic 1920s. It's not inexpensive, but rather neat looking.

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Maggie,

I saw that one on Ebay. Funny, I have seen about 6 of those "antiques" on Ebay over the past year! Some with purple beads, some with clear beads or black or white beads, but all identical to that "authentic" 1920s headpiece. And the asking price is WAY too high. An exact same one sold earlier this year for about $110, and she is asking over $500? Honestly, there are a lot of reproductions flooding the market now as "antique" 1920s headwear due to the Gatsby craze.

"Let the Buyer Beware" is all I have to say there.

14. Ages late to the party, but just found this: http://www.the castlecloset.com/catalog/item/6569207/9265098.htm

15. Ruby von Hazenfuss

Ruby von Hazenfuss Registered Guest

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN