1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VFG Film & Fashion: an invitation to discuss ?The Women? (1939) Discussion now open to all: Come on

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG News - Announcements and events' started by cactusandcattails, Mar 7, 2008.

1. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

I hadn't watched it before and really had to talk myself into the 132 (?) minutes.
    I did leave the room a few times but not for long.

I swear there were a few times I wish I had subtitles with everyone talking so fast and talking over one another.

I loved just about everything about it from the salon scene and exercise outfits to the fashion show (loved the swimsuits) and that PLUSH robe Mary had on before she headed out that night to confront Crystal.

Not clothing but I did notice that when Mary was getting ready for bed there were figural lamps on either side of her bed. A woman on the left side (if facing the bed) and a man on the right.
    Then when she got into bed and little Mary came in to join her the woman lamp was on the right side where Mary was laying.

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I noticed the center back zippers, at leat one in the top of a dress, and one in the skirt of what appeared to be a 2 piece dress. But no long zippers in the back, were there?

That's funny about the lamps!

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Check the very first scene of the two ladies with the dogs. One with a fur turns her back and you see a very long CB zipper.

Yay for rewind and pause.

4. Loved watching the movie again.

My favorite dress? I think it has to be the red and white evening gown and cape in the fashion show. The one that Sylvia tells the model that she doesn't know how to wear. She sure is a piece of work and I like her slightly over the top hats too.

I'm so glad I had an excuse to watch this again!

5. avamac

avamac Alumni

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I thought the fashion show was so interesting. The sportswear was VERY Hollywood, and not really what would have been worn at the time. By 1920s there was a pretty firm rule about tennis clothing at most clubs:

"Any color is fine as long as it is white."

There was way too much color in those tennis dresses, but I suppose it had to be that way with the stunning use of color. It would be sort of pointless to have 5 white dresses at the start of a color segment!

They were also several inches too short, and much too tight! But my favorite thing about them was the huge shoulder pads! Can you imagine actually trying to play tennis with those things sitting on your shoulders?

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hello please note this thread is 12 years old.

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

What problem are you having?