1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VINTAGE 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Jul 11, 2013.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Guest

III

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those are great Memphis pieces. I wish I had bought more of them when they were easy to find cheaply. Memphis was such a short lived style and most of the Memphis architecture has since been remodelled. There used to be a great Memphis style movie theatre where I saw Back to the Future part II - it was a perfect pairing! Interesting story about Eve Kaplan - she really died at the height of the Memphis movement.

3. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Being a Barbie doll collector and having gotten my first Barbie doll as a kid in the 80s, there came the time when I started to look back on the sometimes crazy, sometimes really amazing Barbie fashions of my childhood a few years ago. In collector's books etc. these are still largely undocumented, except for what the actual dolls were sold wearing, and a few special things like the Oscar de la Renta outfits. But there's some cool stuff out there, and I believe I have amassed quite a bit of knowledge on these! Here's some faves that I acquired mostly after starting too look for 80s stuff specifically:
    fashionfantasy3.jpg ghanian_fundus.jpg model_80s_2.jpg noelle_kyori_80s.jpg romanticinterlude_haute couture.jpg romanticinterlude_haute couture2.jpg taiwan_divas.jpg

kyori_red5.jpg viky_chilean_twiceasnice.jpg model_twiceasnice2.jpg model_twiceasnice3.jpg
    Twice As Nice Fashions - reversible!

midge_oscardelarenta1.jpg midge_oscardelarenta2.jpg oscardelarenta.jpg
    kyori_red3.jpg Oscar de la Renta (the blue and silver one is one of my childhood faves and the actual one that I kept!)

nancy_jeans.jpg nancy1.jpg nancy3.jpg nancy5.jpg nancystar.jpg
    And here are my 2 Nancy dolls from Spain. Not my childhood one - as a kid I had a brunette with lovely long hair, but she didn't "survive". I did have the jeans outfit on the left though, so I was superhappy to find this again. I bought both the dolls in their original boxes, they're both 80s - one has a dance mechanism, the other one can "talk". I loved Nancy's wild outfits with lotsa lurex. There are Nancy collectors around in Spain - the doll has been around since the 1960s with the same body and face. She's about 30cm tall and has the figure of a young teenager, though her wardrobe is a bit more grown-up than that. Her signature feature are her freckles. The blue jumsuit's top actually has small shoulder pads!

Karin

Attached Files:

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Fabulous dolls Midge.

There is a Eve Kaplin Design, Inc. FB page with more photos of this jewelry.
    ---------
    From the About on the FB page:

On a trip to Brazil over the holidays that year, Eve fell ill and died on January 1, 1984. She was 28 years old. The cause of death was never conclusively discovered.

RIP

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Karin, you would love the Grace Kelly (Barbie) doll they had at the Grace Kelly exhibition in Montreal...the price was really high though at $250.

7. I just LOVE that Barbie Fashion. I also had my first Barbies in the early 80's and certainly recognize some of those.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

fabulous!

9. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

That skirt is amazing!. It looks straight out of an 80s pop video :clapping:

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Not vintage fashion but I thought this was a great retro piece - it's a 10" pillar candle holder made by Wang International Ltd:
    [​IMG]

11. zilchist

zilchist Registered Guest

So amazing, like Miro's painting, my favorite. :violins:

12. Postboxred

Postboxred Registered Guest

Louis Feraud dress and jacket co-ord set, if only i could fit into the dress....
    IMG_7654.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Linda that display case is amazing! and I totally want to make one myself now.

15. poppysvintageclothing

16. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Love those earrings, Linda! Especially the last pair. I'm glad this thread got bumped, since I wanted to tell you about a bunch of 80's earrings I picked up today. Normally, it's not my thing, but you're making me have a new appreciation for it. I'll take a group shot in the morning.

17. Metro Retro Vintage

Linda, here's a pic as promised. If not for you and this thread, I may not have picked these up and so I thank you for sharing your passion about the 80's.

[​IMG]

Pinkcoke likes this.
  18. poppysvintageclothing

I did the same thing last week, Laura, picked up 3 pairs because of this thread!:) Will have to remember to post pics...

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  19. Metro Retro Vintage

Lol! Linda has been a great influence. Looking forward to the pics, MJ. :)

20. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

You're not alone in the duvet making dress society Linda, I have seen many in the last few years, particularly cartoon or comic strip printed bedlinen into 50's style cotton dresses.
    This bracelet I've had for a while, the scored the earrings last week for a whole 20p! I can actually see myself wearing them sometime too (especially as yesterday I picked up a pair of shoes that happen to match...)
    DSCF1427.JPG
    DSCF1430.JPG