1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage 80's: What trends have you noticed?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by hollyfrocks, Mar 26, 2013.

1. hollyfrocks

hollyfrocks Registered Guest

As a collector of vintage clothing, I'm seeing more and more vintage 80's and 90's clothing in vintage clothing shops. I had just gotten my mind wrapped around the fact that 70's was vintage, when I started noticing a lot of 80's (not exactly high quality or designer either) in the shops. I have also noticed some on Ebay, but it doesn't seem to be selling very well there, unless it is designer.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? I must be getting old because I'm having a hard time thinking of this as vintage! I'd like to invest in some, but I find the quality lacking in so much of it. Are there any labels or designers from that era that you find well made? With quality fabrics?

I hope I have posted this in the correct forum. If not, please move. Thanks.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

When I started collecting in the late 1970s I was buying things from the 1950s and they were only 20-25 years old at the time, and my parents thought I was crazy... so, if you think about it, 25 years ago was 1988 - its just a part of age. I have been acquiring 80s things for years - especially designer clothes, street fashions (goth, punk)...

3. hollyfrocks

Guess it's time to admit I'm old! Don't want to miss out on the good 80's stuff. I was just looking at some completed auctions on Ebay and there are some very nice designer pieces that look extremely well made. I just haven't run across much of this in the vintage clothing shops around here. It's all that shiny fake silk stuff. What IS that stuff, anyway? Like most other things, the nicer pieces probably end up in online auctions like Ebay.

4. Hollyfrocks, thank you for your suggestion: I've moved this thread to the Vintage Chatter forum.

Good '80s has been in demand for some time now - at least five or six years but there's still plenty of it around. Designer styles mostly, as the quality and design integrity is there.

I used to think that '80s was very poorly made but considering all the mass produced stuff we have now, with overlocked seams and top stitched hems: it's looking pretty good to me now! Except for all that silky polyester and over-sized shoulder pads of course.

I agree with Jonathan in that sub-culture clothing from the '80s is the most interesting - or go for designers like Thierry Mugler. I found a great red wool jacket with a neckline and peplum cut like flames in my stockroom. Must see if I can get the marks off as it's a corker.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just read this today... Spice Girls and Fresh Princes on NYC streets...seems the trend is only getting stronger. I agree with Jonathan about what to buy. I pass on most designer stuff myself unless it is a really hot label (for cheap) or if it is very iconic. However, I do purchase 80s and 90s street fashion, punk, early Goth and "post hippie now a rich lady who still likes to dress like a hippie" clothing.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...90s-style?goback=.gde_826497_member_226108085

6. hollyfrocks

Glad you moved it, CircaVintage.
    I agree that 80's looks good in comparison to what's out there now! I'll have to do more research into sub-culture clothing of that decade. I was busy being a Mom then, and was lucky if I had time to notice what people were wearing! Oooo, I DO like Thierry Mugler. In fact I found a jacket once with the tags still on it! It was beautifully constructed, very angular with the most interesting collar I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I had to sell it as I desperately needed the money. :( I recently found an orange jumpsuit by him as well. It's not my favorite piece, but it has a cool star shaped neckline. I'm keeping this piece, however.

So that's what that shiny stuff is? Polyester silk? Not my favorite fabric by any means and trying to be polite. I had a feeling if I could get some guidance, I MIGHT be able to get into the 80's, so thanks very much.

7. hollyfrocks

"post hippie now a rich lady who still likes to dress like a hippie" LOL! Can you give me an example of what THAT looks like?

8. I'm sure that there's no silk in that silky polyester! Still, as awful as it is, it's superior to the polyester double knit they got excited over in the '70s. I wonder if in the future we'll feel the same about '90s polyester microfibre?

9. hollyfrocks

Love the earrings! OK, I think I'm starting to catch the 80's bug, now!

10. hollyfrocks

Oh, yes, that's 70's polyester was nasty! I remember wearing that in High School. UGH.

11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Our VCA friend Daniel (mab1810 aka Mabverick) used to call it fashion "for hippies with a trust fund". :clapping:
    I think Jeanne Marc is a good example of the hippies with a trust fund aesthetic. Here's an example from my website
    [​IMG]

Click here for more Jeanne Marc on Etsy

Some of Carole Little's 80s stuff, especially the Nothing Matches style also sometimes looks appealing to this old hippie!

12. hollyfrocks

Thank you mags_rags. This is really fascinating. I could get very interested in this 80's stuff! What kind of fabric is that made from? I'm going to look up Carole Little 80's right now. Everytime I thought about the 80's all I could envison was that TV show "Saved by the Bell"....little ankle socks with lace trim and all. And, oh! Parachute Pants!

13. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hollyfrocks, the jumpsuit is labeled as rayon/poly. The blue fabric is smooth and feels polished - the black and gold are screen printed.
    The trim fabric is a crepe.

14. hollyfrocks

It looks like a nice fabric. I was looking at photos of Jeanne Marc and I totally "get" the look now and rather like it! Checked out Carole Little as well, which is similar. I was looking at 80's grunge dresses too, and it's all starting to come back to me. Now to check out punk which even I remember!

15. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I actually love polyester. Never needs ironing and easy peasy to clean.

16. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I like polyester too! I commute by bicycle and keep a vintage dress rolled up in my backpack. It doesn't wrinkle, the colors are still vibrant after 40-50 years, and it can be machine washed and dried. It also holds its shape better than wool or cotton knits.

17. Polyester is definitely the most popular fabric - it's what most people's wardrobes have been comprised of for almost fifty years.

18. hollyfrocks

Maybe I can learn to love polyester too. You never know! I actually do like the poly/cotton blend blouses from the early 60s. Especially if they are "broken in".
    Back to the 80's for a second. I have spent quite a bit of time googling images of 80's fashion. It strikes me now as incredibly diverse, colorful and creative. And is actually MUCH more interesting than the 70's! I'm looking even more forward to treasure hunts with this new-found fondness for all things 80's. :USETHUMBUP:

19. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not that old but I admit, I'm still trying to get my head around to considering 80s as vintage... same goes for my Barbie doll collection. Collectors used to consider only things pre-1977 (start of the smiley-face, all is blonde and pink "Superstar-Era") vintage. Maybe it's also to do with things that one still remembers from their own experience. I got my first Barbie only in '85, after all... then, when I got into collecting big time, I wasn't much interested in the 80s and 90s things from my childhood at all, but things have changed - I do love the totally whacky 80s Barbie outfits now, and have started my own little "reference library" of outfits etc, as the post-1977 era is also very badly documented in terms of collector's books (dolls are stil faring better than the separate fashions though).
    I am starting to see the appeal of "real" 80s fashions too. Not everything, but I'm getting there, and all those Ungaro dresses I tried on last December were gorgeous, no question. But I definitely can't wear those big 80s shoulder pads, that just doesn't suit me!
    As for the 90s... I'm seeing too much stuff now at H&M etc. - and on teenagers in the street - that remind me of the early 90s and things that I definitely never want to wear again! :wacko:
    BTW, my Caritas shop has a gorgeous Thierry Mugler coat... since several weeks already. I'm guessing 90s. Gorgeous, extravagant, beautiful shape, beautifully made, but about 2 sizes too big for me, or it would long ago have become mine :cool:! That would be the 90s piece I would buy for myself! Other than that, I can't think of anything right now.

Karin

20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Why don't you buy the Mugler to resell? That is unless it is too expensive to purchase for resale. One of my favorite coats ever is a wonderful 80s Thierry Mugler!