1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage 80's: What trends have you noticed?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by hollyfrocks, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Mary-Jane, I fear it's too expensive to resell. The people at Caritas know mostly what they're selling, and while it's not expensive if you want to have a Mugler to wear yourself, I don't think I could sell it at a good profit - at least not from where I stand with my Etsy shop. Besides, my room for stock is very limited - I'm already sitting on a box full of clothing that's waiting to be sold. Our crazy Swiss Post shipping rates don't help this either, which is why I try to sell more small things. Vintage findings and sewing patterns do well for me.

Karin

2. Shiloh

Shiloh Registered Guest

I'm pretty young...I'm 22 and was born in 1990. I worked at Urban Outfitters and American Apparel and in high school, I got hooked on 80s because it was so crazy and out there (which is what I adore 70s, which a lot of people here don't seem to excited about). Fashion is more and more about standing out with crazy patterns and such which is why it is popular. I prefer the 'silky' style polyester dresses over the poly stuff they sell today which is even more cheaply made. As somebody who cannot afford vintage older than 70s typically, it's very affordable for people like me with an extremely limited income. It's mostly a generational thing, I suppose. I'm not one to care much about labels, simply because of the cost, not the construction. I also don't feel bad hacking up my 70s/80s stuff since it's so cheap. Hell, when I was homeless, I was walking around with an 80s dress that I didn't feel bad about OWS screen printing on. So yeah, in a nutshell, it has to do with us youngins liking wacky 80s/90s stuff. Some companies like AA also are into a more preppy asthetic which also reflects in what's becoming popular.

(dress I modified) https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/45239_10151341192700753_1047886395_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576106_10151329847088590_358971034_n.jpg
    https://img2.etsystatic.com/014/1/5815251/il_570xN.447434090_9bs8.jpg
    https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/1/5815251/il_570xN.208583976.jpg (lillie rubin 80s)

3. Thanks for your input Shiloh - I used to do the same when I was younger, but back in the '80s you could pick up '50s dresses from the charity shops for not much money. It's odd to think that in the '80s, the '50s was only thirty years before but it seemed like a very long time ago - another world, where they wore hats and gloves and were much better behaved. Maybe that's how the '80s feels for you, whilst for those of us who remember it it doesn't seem like long ago at all!

I'm all about the authenticity and design integrity, I suspect in my city I'm famous for it because people often lower their eyes when they tell me what they do to their vintage but I reassure them that I used to hack hems and cut down bigger sized fashions to fit, without caring about the legacy I was creating for future generations. Used to: when I was young and just a collector, not a professional.

When it's your dress, you can do as you wish. It's a delicate topic around here at times, but I'm not precious about the '70s and '80s unless they're important designers or interesting styles - most of them were cheap and cheerful and mass produced so be creative!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Linda,

I enjoy reading your posts, and your unique and personal perspective on vintage. And I love that trench coat!

5. hollyfrocks

hollyfrocks Registered Guest

Ha. Ha. How true!

6. hollyfrocks

Love the necklace you made! I've been having computer problems so haven't been able to participate in this 80's conversation much. I'm feeling differently about what is definately NOT a boring decade! Kind of whacky, but a lot of good design mixed in.

7. hollyfrocks

Midge, I'm a vintage Barbie collector as well. I was drawn to collecting the dolls due to, you guessed it, the fashions! Have you ever read "A Doll Fashion Anthology" by Glenn A. Mandeville. It's a really intersting read.

8. hollyfrocks

Oh, please do photograph the Versace jacket when you get a chance. I would love to see it.

I did not know about the cicadas, Linda. I'm so glad you told me. When I was little, we called them "heat bugs". I was wondering why I hadn't heard them much in many years. I guess I will certainly hear them this summer! Right now our spring peeper frogs are out in the evening. It's my favorite nature sound.

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I love your Egypt earrings Linda! surely they touch your face when worn though? they look really wide! so fun though.