1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Chanel dress ??!?!?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laquita, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

I appreciate any ideas on whether this gorgeous vintage dress could actually be a genuine Chanel. I acquired it at an auction,balled up in a bag of textiles. I'm 99% sure it is silk taffeta, with beautiful appliqued velvet pieces, all hand sewn. I turned it inside out to check the condition and was shocked to see the Chanel label, which is oddly sewn on the center back seam of the dress- not on the back of the dress where they are normally sewn. What do you all think??? Thank you so much in advance!!
    I hope the photos will be on this post- I uploaded them, but now I don't see them on the post preview. If they do not show up, would someone tell me how to post photos?? Sorry to ask, I thought I uploaded them properly....

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Laquita, I believe you will need to post the photos, one by one, in successive posts. We look forward to seeing them.

3. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Joules,thank you. I just tried one at a time, and it didn't work either. I go to the bottom here-attachment- then to Iphoto where it is,then select. But it won't load. Sigh- I'll try again.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Do you have your photos hosted anywhere? I usually keep mine on flickr...
    What you're doing should work though, I think.

5. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

I just have them on Iphoto now. My second attempt at posting a single photo just now and the message was "attachment too large". Which is odd, since it's a single photo. I'll work on this, and thank you all for your patience- I'm so eager to hear your expert opinions on this piece!!

6. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

sounds like either you didn't convert the photo to jpg (or jpeg) format with iphoto, and/or didn't resize it to a reasonably small size.

do you know how to resize photos?

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

The size of the photo in megabytes was too large. Can you reduce it?

Or is there a url to each of your photos where they are hosted. You can type in [​IMG]

8. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Resized them- hope this works!!

9. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Thank you all so much for your help in loading the photos!! More to come, and I appreciate all feedback!!

10. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Close up of bodice

11. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Back train of dress

12. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Label-sewn onto center back seam of the train, about halfway down the seam.

13. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

May we see a photo of the label?
    Edited to say: Oh! There's the label!

14. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

It looks right to me. You just hit the vintage lottery! Many couture gowns have the label down inside the dress, so the placement is correct. The dress probably dates to 1932 or early 1933, as Chanel was showing this cut with the huge flared skirt at that time. Later in 1933, the shape of her dresses changes with a straighter cut, and any fullness in a train at the back.

15. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

holy cow, yep, you hit the jackpot all right! :drinkingtoast:

it's absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. i agree with jodi on the date.

*wipes drool off of keyboard*

16. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

utterly stunning!!!!!!! nice find, would love to know the provenance!

Ang

17. joules

joules VFG Member

18. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

:wow22::cheer::cheer::cheer:and a:drinkingtoast::excited::clapping::drooling22::dreaming:

Absolutely gorgeous, lucky lucky you!!!

20. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

oh, and yes, you're absolutely right, it's silk taffeta.