1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Sizing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Alleycats, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I use a sizing chart I copied off of ebay years ago. Does anyone have a good sizing chart they would like to share?

chris

2. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I think this came up a few weeks ago, did you see this thread?

3. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Chris - if you would like to snag mine, it's on my eBay 'me' page.

You're welcome to copy it & save it on your own pic host. I think I have one in color, too, if you prefer that.

Just say the word.

4. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Leisa, thanks so much, I would appreciate it.

5. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Here is the one I have in colors and you're welcome to snag any of the other charts you see on my me page.

[​IMG]

All I ask is that you leave the 'courtesy of" bit on it as Lesley at Zoick's made it for me years ago for free.

Thanks, darlin'. ;-)

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I know we've talked about this before but modern sizing is not at all standard. I wear anything from a 2-6; an extra-small to a medium and almost everything from last Spring on at Chico's is now cut too large. According to this chart I would be a 6+ (in the hips) but most size 6 dresses are much too big.

Here's an Ann Taylor size chart for comparison:
    [​IMG]

I think if you Google other size charts you will find more variation so the best thing is to know your measurments and what fits!

Linn

7. yep as we discovered epic fail on my chart haha, I'm also discovering the problem of bearing children... i gain 1-1.5" every time.. I used to be 38 now I'm 41' in hips but almost a 28 waist. (I'm working on it) So I buy Med 50s full skirt dresses and lg/xl wiggle dresses unless they have give in the rear lol.. good luck with finding your perfect chart!

8. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Since there are no industry standards for sizing, charts are arbitrary. Each company has their own measurement equivalents for size. A few times in the past the garment industry tried to establish suggested guidelines but they never really became established and we all know how much sizing has changed over the decades.

Like Linn said, the most reliable way to describe size, if you sell vintage, is with good measurements including notations about proportion when needed. With my listings I will say something like medium range and then give the numbers. I wrote a blog about this, here's the link
    http://avintageramble.blogspot.com/2010/01/measurements-and-body-proportion.html

Melody

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Great Blog, Melody!

Linn