1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vintage veil wanted for august wedding - so no real rush!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Hattysattic, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

hello all!

now, my lovely best friend is getting married in august, and i have been instructed to find her a vintage veil (obviously the something old bit had to be covered by me!). i've got a couple but the trouble is she is rather fussy.
    (anyone see friends where monica is getting married and the girls argue over who gets to be matron of honour only to realise that its actually not that fun as she is such a perfectionist? hmmm, familiar!)

she has ordered her couture gown from a london designer, bought her manolo's, and now i am feeling a little stressed as i have yet to provide her with any options - which is when i remembered about the fantastic 'most wanted' board!

so what she wants is a cathedral length veil, relatively plain. her dress is ivory - well, pearl but i think thats just too difficult - and hand studded with a zillion of those tiny swaroski (sp?) crystals, no lace or other decoration and i think she wants to keep it all pretty simple.

any suggestions or offerings much appreciated, either post here or u2u me if you like and i will forward them to her for approval! (although i love anything bridal anyway so if its not too much i may just buy it anyway on the offchance!)

THANKYOU!!!

harriet :)

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Another idea would be to find a vintage headpiece that was meant for a veil where the veil had been seperated or destroyed over time. Then, pair it with modern veling that might be a better match. That way even if the head band tiara part was a tiny bit off in color, it would contrast delibrately and the rest of the veil would be more right on.

Other thing you can do for "something old" is to find vintage scatter pins, etc with crystals or similar sparkley stones, or hairpins to either put in the head piece or to fasten with the hairpins to her head. So, even if you didn't find something extremely sparkley for her, and the vintage or modern veil was more simple and sedate, you can add just a hint of it to tie into the dress. That would suffice for "something old" if you were to not find anything and use a modern veil or use a vintage pattern and make something new instead.

3. Patentleathershoes

I hope you get lucky and find the perfect thing in some little shop. I will tell you that when I got married earlier this year, my veil cost more than the dress!!

Actually, I bought the dress from a consignment shop, so that was my "something old" and my veil was brand new ordered from the manufacturer. I will show it when i get my photos back. I had a wedding where every guest who took pictures seemed to have only gotten the back of my head. so we are waiting for our proof book.

4. Harriet, do you have a picture of the veil she would like or maybe could link to a site on the internet?

We have a store here in our town that closes out old stores and specializes in bridal and formal wear. If I had an idea, I would go look!

They also have the vintage headbands that you can attach the tulling to.

5. Hattysattic

ooh, i like the sparkly hairpin idea! or maybe even a very plain rhinestone tiara and a plain secondhand veil. the idea is to save on the veil as the dress is rather more than she had intended to spend - but i can fully imagine how your veil cost more than the dress - i was appalled at the cost of a bit of fancy net when i got married!

i shall pass the idea on and see what she thinks -and i would love to see your pics when you get them!

6. Hattysattic

linda i just read your post - thank you, another great idea!

she is supposed to be sending me an email with a picture of the dress, and i'll ask her to send over any styles of veil she's seen too! :)

7. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

There are some great online vintage wedding shops that have some fantastic vintage veils & mantillas...

Lemme see if I can find them again.

8. Harriet, I think I saw some tiarras there for about $15.00.

9. Hattysattic

you are all so fab, thank you! i'll ring her when she's finished work and see what she thinks about the tiara thing. yay! i love weddings...

10. Patentleathershoes

Keep us posted when you find something. (and we would be curious to see a picture!). Anyone that is looking for Harriet, feel free to post pics here too, so if something doesn't fit the bill, others can know what direction has already been covered.

11. flowerpotgirl

flowerpotgirl Registered Guest

hi there, any idea of how recent the formals are??? i am already swamped with girls for prom at my store and could use some additional gowns. that would be amazing!!! i am sure they arent the 50's ones i have now, but maybe anything would be a help!!!

12. flowerpotgirl

flowerpotgirl Registered Guest

I just realized that the post i just wrote went to the end of the discussion. i was referring to the shop that clears out the old wedding/formals mentioned earlier. when i looked at my message on the board, it made no sense without the additional explanation!!!
    Flowerpotgirl

13. Patentleathershoes

Are you looking for more formals? Post your own thread in this "Most Wanted" forum and let everyone know what you are looking for!

I know a few sellers were selling vintage dresses that fit in with current trends and some had brand new. What are the girls buying at your shop this year stylewise? I know one year it was little black dresses and this year seems to be all over the map...everything from Princess tulle to more streamlined variety...

Chris

14. Hello, flowerpotgirl, and welcome. I think most of the formals and wedding attire from this store would be 70s and 80s, maybe some more recent.

15. Laura

Laura Alumni

Here are a couple of sites.

<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~design-house/vintage_headpiece.htm">Gulden & Brown</A>
    <A HREF="http://pages.tias.com/64/InventoryPage/2304/1.html">Victoria Rose</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.isadoras.com/bridal/veils2.htm">Isadora's</A>

Laura

16. vintagecurves

vintagecurves Registered Guest

oh my GAWD bridal junk is expensive. :barf:
    I just peeked at that Isadora's site...$1000? Yowza.
    Mine is only costing me $60 (but I guess making it yourself helps:P)

there's <a href="http://www.vintagewedding.com">www.vintagewedding.com</a>

17. Patentleathershoes

Congratulations Wendy!
    when is it?

Oh that's cool to make your own. I was going, but we were engaged Christmas 2003 and we decided to get married in May...I didn't feel there was enough time. I would freak out and ruin it. (i think with my skill a caftan would be all that i could muster).

I ended up buying a dress with a giant crinoline at a consignment shop.

Chris

18. vintagecurves

vintagecurves Registered Guest

June 7th...we're going to Las Vegas (we're getting married at the chapel where Betty Grable married Harry James...weee!)
    I'm making my dress from an old Butterick Pattern (actually, it came out with the reproduction line...a repro of a pattern from 1948)

19. Patentleathershoes

Show the picture of the pattern on the board sometime...we would love to see it. Kristine (elsewhere) got married in Vegas in November, so you are our second Vegas bride in the last while :)

It musta been in the water because we had a lot of weddings last year.

Chris

20. Laura

Laura Alumni

Before I got into vintage patterns, I ran a business creating custom wedding veils. I no longer do it for various reasons (mostly because selling patterns is a lot more fun!) But, I wanted to share a secret that no one in the bridal industry wants you to know...

<B>Wedding veils are sooooooo easy to make!</B> If you have decent craft/sewing skills, chances are very good that you can make an attractive wedding veil.

The only time I would hesitate is if you aren't much of a crafter or you want something very unusual or elaborate.

And since I'm no longer in the business, I don't mind passing on my vendors/sources if you are looking for something in particular (like silk tulle).

:)
    Laura