1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Vionnet Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jenny foster, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jenny foster

jenny foster Registered Guest

Hi Everyone!
    This is my first post here. I am new the site and really wish I would have found it sooner.

Yesterday I found a dress with an offwhite label that reads " Adaptation Vionnet" in pink.
    It is definitely a bias cut dress adorned with rhinestones in a diamond shape pattern on the bodice.

Hope someone can tell me a little bit about this dress.

Posted the photo of tag.

vionnetparis.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Could you please show us the whole dress?

Thanks!

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

yes please - love to see it!

Hollis

4. jenny foster

sure, sorry the picture doesn't really do it a lot of justice and it is very wrinkly...trying to find a cleaner i trust. the back is the same but with a slit from waistline to neck and hook and eye closure, also floor length.

Attached Files:

5. jenny foster

it fits me but i have no one home to take picture so you could all see it better :(

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

'Adaptation' essentially means licensed copy, and Vionnet closed in 1939, and going by the length I would have thought c. 1937ish

7. jenny foster

Thank you. I thought that was what it meant judging by the one dress's description listed on ebay, but wanted to double check.
    It is probably that old though?
    It feels very old and giving the circumstances of where I found this dress and other things found with it, I think it is from the late 30s.
    Pretty cool... sure does sculpt you when wearing!

8. joules

joules VFG Member

It sure is that old, and if that was mine and it fit, it would be staying in my closet.
    Love the nailhead trim especially.
    Hope you'll be able to locate a trustworthy, expert dry cleaning establishment.

9. jenny foster

I was so surprised when I tried it on that it fit perfectly...so yes it will be staying in my closet for at least a good number of years. :) thank you all

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hope you will have the opportunity to try it on when someone is available to photograph you wearing it - so we can see you in it, and appreciate it more fully!

11. Sheri Herman

Sheri Herman Registered Guest

I was just going to say the same thing. Hey I'm new here too! Because people do ask - yes that is an original Paulette Marchand turban. She was a master