1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was given this dress , can someone help me identify it???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Rosa C., Nov 27, 2016.

1. Rosa C.

Rosa C. Registered Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello all , my friend brought me this dress as a gift . It was her mothers but she has gotten rid of most of it since she passed away in the beginning of the years. I have no clue when it was made or by whom. It's gorgeous. I'm guessing 40s to 60s? Any and all help is appreciated thanks!

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

If you could turn the photo right side up, it will help to show the actual shape of it so we can get a better idea. And a close up of the fabric would help also. It appears to be early 1970s, a lurex knit, but I cannot tell from the photo.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'd call that a 1970's hostess gown. Think dinner parties at home with lots of guests.

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I agree. My first thought was the movie "The Ice Storm", which portrayed the early 1970s.

6. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Yes, I think I see a nylon/plastic (not metal) zipper -- another clue to its age. Metal zippers in clothing were discontinued during the 1960s.

Here's a link to our Quick tips for dating vintage !

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just a note that while plastic zippers indicate a more contemporary garment made from the 1960s onward, metal zippers in clothing were not discontinued in the 1960s. Metal zips continued to be used on many garments including Haute Couture, couture, custom dressmaker garments and high end department store brands. They are still in use today in many types of garments.

I just wanted to make that a bit more clear and modify the statement made above as this is a Public thread.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member