1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wax Display Head

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by bartondoll, May 2, 2004.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I found that earlier and was thinking how nice it would be to display Victorian hats. I suspect she is an inset from a mannequin.
    I was speaking to a friend last week who was talking to the old display manager of the Eaton's downtown department store in Vancouver B.C. The store used to be David Spencer's until it went out of business in 1949, and he said that all of the old wax mannequins were in the basement when we was there in the 1950s including one which was an automaton. She lifted her hand and turned her head to take a puff from a cigarette, then she blew smoke! This mannequin was originally from the 1920s! Can you imagine what that would sell for on ebay!?!?!?!?!?

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Jonathan, I wonder if they are still there? Stuck in some
    dusty corner, totally forgotten, the automaton one waiting for
    someone to light her cig? Wonder if they would let us
    take them off their hands? Of course, the store would not
    be Eaton's anymore either.....hmmm... (nice to dream!)

And, yes, I actually find it hard to imagine what the automaton
    one would bring on ebay.

Sue:)

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The Eatons closed down in 1970 and the building sat empty for almost a decade, and then it became the Sears headquarters, and they completely gutted and redid the building in about 1980, so I dare say they may have been hanging around until almost 1980...

5. Oh my, Sue, that is nice but a little too much for my pocketbook! I think I will just dream of running into one at a little secluded antique shop selling for about $25.00!:D

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That is a nice one. I did see 2 at an auction in Ohio - they went for about $750 each, so that reserve is reasonable. The wax ones always go high.

Now an automaton that smoked? you would be looking at thousands, I would think.

Hollis

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

About 10 years ago I turned my nose up at one that was $350.00 Canadian because I thought it OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! Ha...

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Jonathan, maybe you will still find one - like Linda in some
    dusty antique shop for $25.00. I would love one just as an
    'objet de art' :)

Sue