1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Suit of William Rowe - circa 1873

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Devante, May 31, 2010.

1. Devante

Devante Registered Guest

Well a week before my wedding and I found a great suit, better the one I have.

Here is the suit: http://www.antique-lace.com/Gentleman/0410/0410.htm

Does anyone know where I can get this suit or one similar, or even a place I can buy suits from this era?

Whenever I try to search for "vintage" suits, it usually ends up being like 1920's to to 70's.

Thanks for any advice!

I'd probably have to do overnight shipping if I found one.

2. Fabulous suit!

As I'm sure you've realised, it's hard to find menswear from this era in good condition, outside of museums, and I generally recommend for people who are looking for wearable items to consider getting copies made because the originals (as well as being old, valuable and fragile) are generally in small sizes too. 130 years ago, men were much shorter than they are today, so the proportions can be all wrong.

Nicole

3. Devante

Devante Registered Guest

I'll take a copy anytime. I'm not really after originality.

I just want a suit that looks like this!

By the way, you're right, it has been troublesome finding men's clothes from this era.

4. Laura

Laura Alumni

A very handsome suit, and I agree with Nicole that your best option is to find a tailor who can make a copy for you.

5. Agreed.

Chances are if you found something of this era to wear, it would be very fragile and you definitely wouldn't be able to celebrate like you want at your wedding; your every movement would have to be careful and mindful of the fragility of what you are wearing.

A repro is your best bet anyday. I would have one made to measure. Make sure to get as many examples of what you're looking for to take along to your tailor.

You might also google costumes from this era. There are some high end costumes out there.

Congratulations on you wedding!!:drinkingtoast:

6. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

At this late stage if you are in a major city I suggest you hire a period suit from a film or theatrical costumiers.

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Menswear in complete suits from the 1880s is very rare. It is even rarer in a wearable size and condition. I doubt it exists on this short notice.

With a week to go, I agree a custom made 3pc frock suit is not an option. There just isn't time to get fabric ordered or found locally and get it patterned, fit and sewn. The coat alone can take 4 - 5 days.

A costume rental house would be your best bet or a local theatre costume shop might have something they can rent.

Hollis

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

9. Laura

Laura Alumni

Oops, I overlooked the part about the wedding being only a week away. I agree with everyone else - maybe you can find a costume rental source.