1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Well'y" French Leather Jacket - Unsure of brand?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plxmn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. plxmn

plxmn Registered Guest

Hi

I bought this jacket in Paris at a second hand market in 2009. I can't find any record of the maker on the internet (or on this site). Does anyone recognise it and am able to tell me more about it?

Thanks

Peter

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I don't speak/read French beyond a handful of words, but this seems to be about your company. It is from a 1973 French publication about business enterprises...
    IMG_6445.jpg

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Good sleuting Lynne! Seems to make sense as the entry refers to a company trading in garments, hosiery and novelties. The second line on the label refers to the address: Angle rue Sainte-Catherine and Alsace-Lorraine in Bordeaux- the corner of these two streets (angle seems to me a bit of a weird choice of word in this case, but I'm no French professor...), and the entry gives the address as 118 & 120 rue Sainte-Catherine in Bordeaux. According to Google Maps, number 120 is exactly on the corner with Cours d'Alsace-Lorraine. Looks like it's in the city centre too.

4. plxmn

plxmn Registered Guest

Wow! I have a French speaker looking at this now... It seems it has been around since 1973? I suspect it didn't last much longer though... So I guess I can date this jacket to around the mid 70s?

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it seems the company was founded in 1973. If you show the whole garment, we may be able to give you some advice regarding dating.