1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about this dress...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Alrighty...so what are some honest opinions about this one?

I really originally thought that this was a "white dress" versus being made as a wedding gown just because of the way the back lays. Also, on one side, there is one of those little discreet string "loops" where a matching belt would have gone. (and I have never seen a belted wedding dress) But maybe i am totally wrong.

Its by Dubarry, same label thats in the resource.
    http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/labels.php?labelno=373&mode=search

The underskirt is taffeta, there is a layer of netting on top of that, and then
    on top there is the overlay. I have not enhanced it with any additional slips. For some reason, it looked like a nylon weave to me, but i could be off tonight. The pictures are showing it a bit more stark white than it actually is. Its definitely not that white. More of an offwhite instead of that "tooth whitening commercial white" IMHO. And i wondered to myself if it had been whiter in the past.

Oh, and the zipper is metal and it zips on the side and the zipper says Waldes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I was sitting here looking at the seams of the dress and way way down closer to the hem i found this tag. And it totally threw me off. Do you think that it is from 1965, or do you think coincidentally, that is just the style number of the dress??

[​IMG]

Chris :BAGUSE:

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I think the 1965 is just the style #. I think this would look pretty with a ribbon sash, maybe in a pink.

3. Patentleathershoes

I think the 1965 is just the style #.

Then I am NOT completely losing my mind - yippee.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think your instinct is right that this is a white party dress - most likely for a young woman or teen. Maybe even a high school or college graduation dress. And this would be prety retro in 1965, wouldn't it?

Hollis

5. Patentleathershoes

When I first saw it i thought the neckline looked 40s to me...but i veered away from that, as this came with an estate of all full skirted 50s dresses....and i climbed it to slightly later

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Definitely not made as a wedding dress, but a party dress, maybe prom dress? But, no reason this couldn't be a great vintage wedding dress for a summer garden wedding! I think the ribbon sash is a great idea, or a filmy narrow chiffon scarf in a pink or light green....

7. As for a date, I think 40s. That is just lovely and a sash would really set it off. If you don't put one with it, just suggest it.

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

OMG Chris, I'll have to see if I still have the pics, but Nicole wore this
    same dress (well not THE same dress) to her grade 12 formal. I bought it at a vintage clothing store. It was early 50s. I later sold the dress and I don't think mine had the DuBarry label, but I also did not check
    all the skirt or zipper seams, as this was early in my days of
    selling (and knowledge).

Do you have a long crinoline to put with it to make the skirt
    really stand out? That will add a real punch to the dress.

Hee - Nicole wore this with black gloves and a black tophat and it actually
    worked.

Sue

9. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Oh yea, poof out that skirt, clip it for a curve hug on the top and add a satin sash (shoot, 2" satin spool ribbon from WMart for that matter) and it will really pop.

Ruched chiffon is big now, if this is chiffon....

Reminds me of ebay item 8392386162 (sorry, not sure how to link here) and one I sold a while back...where did that go....oh well, got $200 for it!

Jenn

10. Patentleathershoes

I just worry about the condition.

Its just not as bright as it once probably was color wise. (but maybe i am overly picky).

I don't have a crinoline that long or full but i probably can stuff it! Because it had the built in netting..I assumed it was how it was supposed to look - but i definiteyl can try for more

11. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I think an 'antique' white is very flattering :) - it's lovely, and I agree on the earlier date! That label would have thrown me too though..

12. antiqueladyvintage

antiqueladyvintage Registered Guest

The bodice ruching looks later 40s to me. The gown is gorgeous and I agree it looks like a party or graduation dress. I think 1965 is the style number, too. Good luck-someone will be lucky to own such a beautiful dress-