1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you never found that you would like to find

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by alonesolo, Apr 11, 2004.

1. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Not on ebay but in thrifts. What is it that you have looked for and never been able to find. Some things would just excite me to no end to be able to find for listing. I don't know why I get excited to list certain items.

I have never found a Pucci

A Vested Gentress ( which doesn't make sense seeing as I live only a couple hours from where the company was in the Philly area. )

I finally found my First YSL although new shoes . On the same note I have never found a Vintage Dior. I would also love to find a Dior new Look Not just any new look I want to find a Dior.

I would also go bonkers if I found a Judith Leiber or Enid Collins handbag. .

I have never found a pretty Hawaiian set just mumus. Only one vintage Hawaiian mens shirt. I have found a Shaheen once.

So what is it you would faint dead away and have the thrift store people calling the ambulance . And that you would be trying to pay for as you lay on the stretcher and clutch it to your body as they haul you to the local ER?

2. katzoid

katzoid VFG Member

A victorian corset,

A Ceil Chapman wedding gown,

Or a Schiaparelli beaded cashmere sweater.

Any one of these would bring a temporary state of nirvana:)

Kat !~)

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If I found an Adrian suit in a thrift, you would hear the Wee Doggies! in PA.

If I found a Worth in local vintage shop, you could call the ambulance.

And if I ever again find an 18th Century dress in an antique mall for $160, you can accompany me to the lottery office so I can buy lots of tickets since my luck will be running sky high.

Hollis

4. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

A spoon busk corset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lei

5. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

On a broad vein - Anything Vintage that was in MINT condition. I have found a few things that were close to it, but I mean NOS that isn't even dusty.

But to faint dead away = Shaheen Halter dress or set or Couple's Set.

Ceil Chapman in perfect shape. Anything will do! Same goes for Chanel, Pucci, Fogarty (early), Perette (again early)...etc etc etc.

40's shoes in mint condition & preferably in my size. LOL

Not much. ;)

6. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Well most of those I wouldn't even attempt to wish for cuz no way in my wildest dreams would I find them.

7. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

If I found a Dior New Look suit, I'd hyperventilate until fainting.
    If I found a Shiap evening gown, from the 30s, I'd be ready for medical attention.
    If I found a Charles James evening gown, I'd probably go beserk and have to be placed in a psychiatric facility.
    I've found one Ceil evening gown and one Pucci. When I found those, I began, literally, to hyperventilate and immediately called my husband on the cell phone just freaking out. He was REALLY relieved to find out that I was only excited and not in distress!
    Whoops, add an Adrian to my list.
    Funny thing, I find Shaheen's regularly as well as Vested Gentress.
    Ooohh, now, I would really, really, really like to find a great Norell and a great Galanos. I found one Galonos, early in my thrifting career, on Ebay, and knew I had something great but didn't realize how rare my find really was. I still hyperventilated.
    How about a Chanel for under 500$??? THAT would go into my closet and make my year!
    I'm sure I could go on and on.
    Although not vintage, I'm always thrilled to find Blue Fish because it's like finding money !
    joey

8. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Hmm, I guess my 'to die for' vintage piece would be a dress by Ceil Chapman. Not very original, but I just love her work.
    Of course I would love just about everything listed by the other posters as well!:cool:

9. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Well, I'm an easy squealer, so I've had to learn to do it with lips tightly compressed. ;)

A few weeks ago, I had been reading <i>American Ingenuity</i> A book on the American sportswear designers of the 30s - 70s. Claire McCardell plays a starring role in the book, and I was just drooling over some of her wonderful designs.

Next day, at a local antiques mall, I was going through a rack of dresses, and stopped dead in my tracks. The seller had attached a little tag - "Claire McCardell dress" but I just did not believe it until I found the label. Then I gave the stiffled little squeal.

So what else would make me go bonkers?

The above mentioned Adrian suit

A 1920s golf dress or ensemble

a Hermes bag (I can dream, okay?)

A mid 60s Givenchy suit

any embroidered cashmere sweater

A Vested Gentress with Scotty dogs - I don't even know if they made one!

Ant pre 1950 shoes in excellent condition

And much, much, more!

Lizzie

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Still holding out for that elusive 1890s bicycling suit with bloomers.

11. heavensent-hellbent

heavensent-hellbent Registered Guest

great post, pauline!

i consider myself soooo lucky because i've found some choice things thrifting. however my little wish list would include:

an emma domb dress
    a ceil chapman dress
    a betty rose SUIT (so far only suit jackets + coats)
    anything chanel
    the vested gentress horsie butt dress (pref. in pink to keep of course)
    anything schiaparelli besides scarves + hats
    levi's BIG E !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Ooo great thread!!

I would really like to find a Pucci. I have never found one in all my years thrifting and it's become some sort of holy grail for me.

I've never found a Vested Gentress in a thrift either though I've bought a couple off eBay at low prices for resale.

Of course I would die to find almost anything you guys mentioned, too!

13. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

You know what else?! I'd like to find a vintage swimsuit earlier than the 70's. Never ever have I found one. :(

14. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

An Hermes Kelly Bag, an art deco beaded peacock handbag, the perfect Ingrid-bergman-in-casablanca hat not to resell, but to keep - don't really think it exists, and is just a figment of my wishful thinking. of course i would also like a pucci, and a perfect pair of 40s platform pumps. I also want a particular 70s Jones New York jacket/blazer, a vintage 40s/50s halter dress that actually fits me (!), and the shoes with the pop out roller skate wheels. also Edith Head sketches/renderings....and a novelty print skirt with dachshunds on it.

Not vintage, but antonio bossi patent leather driving loafers with leather soles- mine are almost completely worn out. still look great but the hole in the sole is not getting any smaller. only in my size and any color especially light blue.

and to sell?

a duplicate of everything up there, plus a 1930s/40s men's tuxedo, and mint condition 40s/50s hawaiian shirts for men.

I don't want much, do I???????

chris

15. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

OHHHH add the Hermes Kelly bag to my list. I would truly be in heaven if I could find one at a thrift (fat chance LOL):D
    joey

16. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

If I found a Charles James gown in a thrift, y'all would never hear about it. I would have collapsed from a massive coronary on the floor of the store, never to be heard from again.

17. rjroni1

rjroni1 Registered Guest

Any of the major names stated above would put me in a state of 'HuH"!!!
    "What!" "Duhhhh"! And with my luck I would probably not know what I was looking at out of disbelief! LOL

18. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

LOL Cosmic, if I found a Charles James in a thrift, it would be curtains for me. I wouldn't live long enough to tell anyone about it!!! OMG, you can you just imagine?????????? The mind boggles!!!!!!
    joey

19. Okay, I'm adding my shame and bewilderment... :) This isn't an 'I'd drop dead' list, as there are just TOO many of those, but I've long been puzzled about why I've never found a single piece of...

St. John
    Flax
    Vested Gentress

Hm. Could this be a regional-analysis opportunity? :)

I still don't understand why I don't find H Bar C/California Ranchwear in these 'so-western' parts, either.

Steph