1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a loop Collared shirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Guys seem to be buying loop collared shirts.

I feel like such a dunce. What are they so I know if I have some?

I am guessing that they are the type of shirt with the button under the collar and there is a little button loop to fasten it down when the guy would wear it with a tie. But i am not terribly sure.

Would anyone like to enlighten me?

Chris

2. I don't know! Did you try doing an ebay search for Loop Collar and see what pops up??

If you find out, let us know!

~M

3. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I think they are those shirts that have a loop sewn at the outside center back of the shirt directly under the collar. I've seen old vintage shirts that need a detacheble collar with these loops sewn on at the back.

Lei

4. Patentleathershoes

So you can hang them up better on a peg? Hmmm...

The other mystery is a "drop loop" suit.

What sprang to mind is the little tag on the inside of the collar but i have to research that one as well.

BTW - Maureen...great suggestion, but most listings say it but don't show it, so to speak...

5. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

6. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

That is the first one I ever saw like that! I wonder if it was just a 50's thing as I have never seen older shirts with that little loop.

Lei

7. Patentleathershoes

Ah! I am now enlightened!

Thank you so much Gayle

I think i have seen shirts like this before but it never occurred to me that there was a special name or following.

Chris

8. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

It is making a come-back, so you have to be careful in purchasing for resale. The best way to tell is from the construction of the loop, and the design of the labels.

The original 50's ones have tighter seaming at the loop and the loop is of a higher quality make-up.( clear as mud eh!) 'tommy hifiger' has re-made some pullover shirts using the loopcollar, very poorly made!

9. Patentleathershoes

No, that's pretty clear. But i am sure we will see many "vintage tommy Hilfiger loop collared shirts" coming up for sale, and I am sure Old Navy will have a version eventually.

(where i live they are probably still wearing the originals and won't start wearing the Tommy Hilfigers for another 10 years where they are out of style but not quite retro yet lol)

10. Vixen

Vixen Registered Guest

Yeah, I think loop collars are really sought after by the die hards. The fiancé, who just went through his collection, kept ALL the loop collars. Unless he can tell by the collar/tag/buttons that it's old ... he only buys loop collars.

11. Patentleathershoes

That's interesting, Sharonne.

I wonder if it is a utilitarian convenience feature that overrides any funky print, or any other possible desirability factor? The "don't make em like they used to" appeal...

12. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

That is very interesting information. Thanks for asking the question, Chris. :clapping: I learn something new every day!!

Does anyone know what the loops on the back of the shirt are called? I have never known what to call them...........

Gail

13. Patentleathershoes

You mean inside the collar or on the outside of the shirt?

Umm....hanger hooks?