1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will be the future?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by May Lim, Sep 16, 2016.

1. May Lim

May Lim Registered Guest

Good morning Vintage-holics!
    Has anyone wondered what will be the whole vintage climate in the future?

I'm very in awe with the concept of LENA (a fashion library in Amsterdam) that rents out vintage dresses as oppose to selling outright (unless someone wants it, of course ;) This is much of the sustainability effort many youth are supporting, due to too many new crap/ fast fashion churning out daily.

Along with many other changes, I'm so curious if we as vintage collector/ sellers/traders will be a thing of extinction next time.

What's your thoughts on this? :))

2. May Lim

May Lim Registered Guest

Found another reference : a fashion vintage library to be open in Australia soon, called United Archives

Personally I love the idea, and still believe there will be private collectors that still want to own rather than rent.
    It's also a great way to educate the younger generations what vintage is like and make them more accessible. There are youth in my country that like to say some stores overcharge so much when you can get a 'vintage' dress for US$9 (after conversion) but its sad that they don't know some vintages are truly exceptional!

Come to think about it... vintage is to stay :))) would love to hear your thoughts, what you'll think the future will look like? :))

3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Quite interesting. I would never sell my vintage clothing if I could open a shop like a costume shop.

4. May Lim

May Lim Registered Guest

ahahaha right? a lot of the dresses I got, even if the size's not right, I still have trouble parting with them.
    with a library system like this, you don't ever have to part with them! lol

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

If we dealers are smart - and we are! - we help the next generations shop for vintage, pull outfits together. I've been doing this with my nieces for years. When Aunt Agnes passed away, my parents and us 'kids' were involved in clearing out her incredible estate. The clothing alone was amazing, from 1930s-early 1990s. She had a different outfit for every occasion and a complete wardrobe for each trip. I was busy, for sure, but I chattered about the clothing, how it was made, etc. to my nieces. They were teens and you know what? It stuck. Their mom is a mall shopper, has great taste but it's all new. They actually learned from ME. Me!! ha ha

The stuff they decided to take they still wear a decade later! I taught them that you can blend the old with the new, that what's old is new again... they in turn teach me what the young eye likes and that helps me in my business, I think.

Educate!! It's fun to bridge the generations with vintage and it's the way we keep vintage and its collecting alive.

Midge and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  6. This is an interesting concept. I just don't know how vintage would survive being rented. When I see what happens to the costumes on movie sets, my goodness. Nothing comes back from a shoot unscathed.

So perhaps renting out the newer stuff, but not the old? I'd have so many rules and regulations in place, nobody would want to rent from me, LOL. "YOU MUST USE DRESS SHIELDS."
    "YOU MAY NOT EAT SPAGHETTI WITH RED SAUCE."
    "NO WEARING PERFUME."

LOL.