1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whiting & Davis Bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Aloha,

I mentioned that I found a 1930's W&D bag in Hawaii. Here it is:

[​IMG]

I thought it looked familiar and when I got home I found it in a book. It's referred to as a "Beadlite-Mesh summer bag with creamy white enameled links, celluloid frame and chain handle." It's on p. 127 of "Collectible Fashions of the Turbulent 1930's" by Ellie Lauber. I've had it for several years and use it in the spring and summer.

Linn

2. atticville

atticville Alumni

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I love the plastics they were working with...especially that cool chain! Great find Linn!

4. I like the big chunky clasp; Nice piece, Linn!

Nicole

5. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I think I'm in lust... :drooling22:

That's a cutie, Linn! I love the clasp, too.

What a score for you! :USETHUMBUP:

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Linn, very cute bag! It looks pristine! And I think that clasps on vintage bags are my favorite thing about them--you don't see the variety or imaginative-ness in them in today's bags!

How do you clean the outside of it, or have you ever had to? I have a similar W & D bag, though with metal frame, not celluloid, and there is yellowing on some of the enameled area. I tried just plain soap and water, but no luck, and I'm hesitant to use an alcohol or bleach solution.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

8. Uber cute! And it looks as if it's in wonderful condition, too.

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It is in wonderful condition. The "beads" are a metal mesh with an enamel coating - so if I had to clean it I would probably dab something like "Soft Scrub" on a Q-tip on any dirt, and then use a damp cloth to wipe it off, then dry. Whiting & Davis is still in business so you could contact them about cleaning.

http://www.whitinganddavis.com/

Linn