1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Note:. It has to be Haute Couture, everyone. Claire said that right off. That narrows the field considerably. By process of elimination, somebody will nail it eventually!

Linda, my original guess was actually well thought out. Claire said it was not typical for the designer, and so I thought about it for a while, and said JPG as he is usually not this conservative/tailored, and this dress is (in its line). Dating it right away to the mid 1980s was an educated guess on my part in my first post, and Claire thinks that is about right. I think some of the others also gave a well thought out answer, even if was not the correct one.

Sorry if I felt slighted, but I felt the "Grade 2" comment was directed at me, and it also does not apply to many of the others who answered. I know, I know...I am too sensitive, that's for sure!

We are all friends here, and at all levels of knowledge. Sharing and growing from all starting points. :) But lets choose our words carefully.

2. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Linda, we love our dating games and Claire loves to stump us! They actually do make us think even though it seems like we're just guessing. As Barbara wrote, we're all at different levels of knowledge here and you'll learn something new even if you're a pro.

It's all good :)

Okay then Claire, how about Armani?

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

not Chanel

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Trade Member

Only because I have an 80s Gianfranco Ferre dress in very similar fabric and silhouette, that is my guess :).

6. claireshaeffer

Congratulations, Mary Jane wins. It's Lacroix. It came with a pretty black silk asymmetrical pleated skirt that doesn't look like Lacroix either.

When Lacroix did his last collection, he gave the businesses that helped him with costs a personalized signed sketch as a thank you.

bartondoll likes this.
  7. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hooray!! Finally a winner- Congrats Mary Jane, I have enjoyed watching this thread from a distance!! :clapping:

8. Well done Mary Jane! :drinking2:

9. poppysvintageclothing

At last! We were going to run out of designers soon:hysterical:

bartondoll likes this.
  10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

No kidding! :hysterical:

Congrats, Mary Jane, and thanks for the fun puzzler, Claire!

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This was fun to read. I didn't join in because I really don't know my designers, let alone my haute couture, but I enjoyed and learnt!

That said, I do know my artists, and thought of Mondrian right off, before Claire mentioned him!

12. poppysvintageclothing

I did think of Mondrian as well, but he wasn't an haute couture designer:hysterical:

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  13. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I enjoyed this thread! I love Lacroix--NEVER thought this could be his!?!?

Like Jonathan -- I was getting a Japanese vibe and couldn't stop thinking that way.

And like Barbara--thought it had more of a Wright design than Mondrian.

Very interesting piece--thanks for sharing!

Tiffany

14. claireshaeffer

Many thanks to all for playing along and being good sports. I'll do another but not this week. I'm going to Vienna on Sat. for a week and can't monitor it while I'm away. Also, I'll look for something that will make you think.

Claire

15. poppysvintageclothing

Enjoy, Vienna, Claire! Our daughter was there over a year ago and she absolutely loved it! The architecture, the cafes, the patisseries!

16. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh no, better do some mental exercises to get ready! :hysterical:

Have a great trip, Claire!

17. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Congratulations Mary Jane!

Vienna?? Wow wow wow.

Thanks for a real brain teaser of a garment, Claire.!!

18. claireshaeffer

I can just feel those new pounds.

19. poppysvintageclothing

You will do so much walking, the calories will disappear!

20. claireshaeffer

Hopefully. Karin (Midge) gave me a nice list for shopping and I'm meeting a tailor on Friday.