1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is 20s designer JULIA HOYT?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Leta Troka, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Leta Troka

Leta Troka VFG Member

I'm looking for any information on the designer of this exquisite gown. I'm having the worst time coming up with anything. Looks like 1920s or early 30s to me. Thought?
    Can you believe I found this in such great shap in the Goodwil bins!
    Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

What a fabulous find Leta... and in the bins, no less!!! Does it just slip over the head? Any zipper or button closures? if so where are they located? The lack of a defined waist has me leaning to the 1920s. But let's see what others have to say.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Wow! I want to shop where *you* shop. ;)

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. joules

joules VFG Member

And how! :)

The dress has survived the decades, in miraculous condition.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is an incredible find at a Goodwill these days! It's beautiful! Is there any chance that the pink chiffon underskirt was added under the lace.
    The other chiffon appears to be more of a peachy tone than that of the bottom.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

It's rough going inside those bins, Mary Jane. I see what you mean about the underskirt chiffon color tone.

8. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Oh my. What a find.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Good for you...that dress is a fabulous find.

This doesn't tell you too much about the trademark, but the trademark application was published on Mar 2, 1926. It notes that the trademark was used since July 1, 1925. I have not yet found a connection between the NY socialite Hoyt, but there may be one. I will continue to look.

JuliaHoytTrademarkAppMar2-1925.jpg

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a 1925 ad for Julia Hoyt Modes. I would still like more proof that there really was a Julia Hoyt.

JuliaHoyt1925AdOgdenSm.jpg

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It appears now that Julia Hoyt may, indeed, have been the actress socialite...

JuliaHoytModesDramaticSocialArtisticAd1925.jpg

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

13. joules

joules VFG Member

14. Leta Troka

Leta Troka VFG Member

She must be - how interesting! Thanks for all your help folks!
    This is one of the most beautiful dresses I have ever had! That golden lace (with no tears at all) and just look at the pin.
    Yes, it pulls overhead with no closures and the slip with the attached pink skirt is separate.

Attached Files:

15. joules

joules VFG Member

It's a miracle it wasn't mangled in the bins.
    What a beauty! Thanks for the additional views.

16. Ken Daniszewski

Ken Daniszewski Registered Guest

Julia was mentioned briefly in The New Yorker several times in 1925 and 1926. Here's a quote:

"MESSRS. LEFKOWITZ & PITOFSKY, "Creators of Better Coats and Suits," have recently been boasting, by circular letter to New York's publications, that they have signed a ten years' contract with Mrs. Julia Lydig Hoyt to design for them. It is with relief that I read "Mrs. Hoyt . . . will work with us such hours as do not conflict with her theatrical work." At present those hours are twenty-four to a day, but Mrs. Hoyt has said that she will take up her career again in the Fall. MRS. HOYT has very nearly arrived. She has come to the point where face creams bid for her endorsement (and she has endorsed them). Editors have asked her to write notes on social etiquette (and she has written them). The motion picture industry and the stage have known her and now she is a designer "at the highest salary ever paid to an American." Mrs. Hoyt's career is not particularly an original one; she has merely done better in it. Slim, dark beauty has an added asset. In essence, it is a capitalization of the modern American passion for aristocracy.
    Such a career is yearly offering more and more inducement to the eligible young ladies of our overflowing social register. It gratifies suppressed desires for public attention and, incidentally, it pays. Moreover, the exploitation of a "society name" requires much less scheming than a girl's enemies will admit.
    "
    You can also find more information about her if you Google "Julia Lydig Hoyt".

This also from Google Books:
    http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q="Julia+Lydig+Hoyt"&num=10

17. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wonder if there was any connection between Julia Lydig Hoyt and Rita Lydig - the NY socialite with the shoes....