1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You in the 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by denisebrain, Aug 15, 2009.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

You know how current fashion is starting to be enthralled with 80s fashion? I've been writing on my blog about some 80s fashion trends and the impact I think they seem to be having now (here is my blog if you'd like to check it out).

After several more trends I will come to the end of that series and I'd love to show real people in 80s fashions. If you weren't just a baby then :rolleyes: would you be willing to share a photo or two of your stylin' self from the 1980s? Show us all here, and I'll show you on my blog in a week or so...if you don't mind, that is.

If you were wearing vintage then, great! I am going to discuss the influence of vintage clothing on 80s fashion, and you'd be a fine illustration!

P.S. Joules: You HAVE to post the pic you posted on Twitter of yourself! HAVE to!

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Maggie -

I have a lot of pictures of myself in the '80's. I've shared some of them before but will post them again later.

Linn

3. denisebrain

Thank you Linn...I know I've seen some of your vintage pics, but I must have missed the 80s shots of you.

I'm still trying to dig out some of my own. We didn't take so many pictures back then, did we? I know I went through a bit of a punk housewife phase with 50s dresses and pink hair. I probably should be glad I don't have photos of that!

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I'll play! This is the only 80s pic I have scanned into the computer at this point. This was taken in 1986, and I am in vintage:

[​IMG]
    I still have it hanging in my closet although I haven't worn it in awhile. It's the top 2 pieces of a 40s rayon lounging pajamas set - the wide legged pants were much too short, but the SS double breasted blouse and quilted frogged jacket look great on top of black pants. In those days, I often wore them over a mid calf black cotton knit swingy skirt and black riding boots. Oh, and of course, my 80s perm tops the whole thing off.

DH is wearing a 40s rayon Hawaiian shirt that he has since outgrown. With a mullet.
    :scratchchin:

5. denisebrain

:D Maggie, I would have loved to look so great in the 80s!

6. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm very much enjoying your blog series about the eighties, Maggie!
    By special request, this one survives, and I'm on the right. :) This was backstage at The Whiskey A-Go-Go.
    [​IMG]

Maggie, what beautiful rayons you are both wearing!

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Maggie, I have several photos of myself in the 80s; i'll see if I can find some and scan them in. Wish I still had some of my dresses, and, even more, wish I still fit into them. Well, actually I do have some of them, but I don't fit into them. Wishful thinking, I suppose.....

I was wearing some vintage apparel back then, but I doubt I have any pictures of me in my black 1950s cashmere coat.... I think I might have one of me in a vintage party dress. I'll look.

And your blog sounds like so much fun & I'm sure it'll be really interesting!

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Thanks for the nice compliments. Joules, I had the exact same Mickey Mouse tee that your friend is wearing in the photo - I wore it to death!

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that's so funny, Maggie (Mags)! i had the MINNIE mouse t-shirt like Joules' friend's!! and i, too, wore mine so much, ALL the time!!! ~ but i had a very dear friend who had to move back to Japan, and when i asked what she wanted for a going away gift, she chose that. how could i say no?

what a small vintage world.

and Mags, OF COURSE he had a mullet!!!!!

i think i posted this photo a couple years back for a rockabilly thing, but this is my friend, Ken and I before hitting the (rockabilly) clubs in Chicago, about uh, 1985?? 6?? 7??

[​IMG]

10. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

OK, here are some 1980s shots that are up on my facebook page.

This is about 1980-81, I am in the center, wearing a 1940s dress and singing in a high school jazz chorus.
    [​IMG]

Also high school, I was the mom in The Bad Seed, and am wearing my mother's 1950's dress in this play.
    [​IMG]

My punk days, circa 1984-85.
    [​IMG]

More bad hair (notice the tail), and bad habits
    [​IMG]

Another 80's shot, probably 1988? me with first husband
    [​IMG]

Jen

11. Hope I don't scare you too much but this is me circa 1984. I would have been about 19 years old here and probably on my way to either a rockabilly venue or the Haçienda nightclub in Manchester. Oh happy, happy days!

I was wearing my beloved vintage suede jacket purchased from the iconic Aflecks Palace in Manchester - I used to hang-out there a lot during the 80's! I'd have my head shaved every two weeks or I wouldn't go out! Gawd! I thought I was sooooo cool and I also thought I would ALWAYS have that hair style too :lol: I loved the Cramps and any rockabilly-type music but equally loved my jazz-funk music, The Smiths, The Cult, A Certain Ratio, Orange Juice . . . . . I was always quite open minded when it came to music - and fashion, so it seems!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/music/hacienda.htm

12. denisebrain

OMG!!!!!!! I knew there was a lot of 80s style among people here!! Keep them coming!!

13. denisebrain

I'm still searching for some, but here's a few, including The Perm:

[​IMG]

and who knows what...I hope I wasn't planning on doing any reading:

[​IMG]

I wore polka dots so much it was sort of ridiculous, although I don't have lots of evidence:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is from the early 80s, and I look like I am dressed for work, not a concert performance:

[​IMG]

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great thread, wish I had noticed it sooner, was at my Mom's earlier today and she keeps all her photos in such fine order...I could have scanned some from there....mine are all in a box somewhere:clueless:

15. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I have a few more that I'm actually wearing vintage in -- but not accessible from this computer.

Here's what I've got from Facebook:

[​IMG]

I'm in the middle. Circa 1986. I'm wearing a 60's or 70's loooong necklace (looped around) with little blue plastic rings & metallic gold paint. I think I got it from my Grandma's house.

[​IMG]

Halloween - 1988? I'm in the white ruffly shirt. I think I was supposed to be a vampire. Or vampiress. Or something. I'm still friends with all of these gals. I went to high school with 2 of them. The 3rd (far right) just had a baby, lives in OK and I saw both of them last week :)

[​IMG]

Me & my high school best friend. 1986. We were having a lip-sync party. I believe we were doing "Existential Blues" (a Dr Demento type song)

16. denisebrain

Ah, Kristine, you look great!

17. Linn

I've shown some of these before but here goes:

This was taken in 1985 at my office at U.H. I taught interior design there for several years. I bought the Gucci bag in Paris the previous summer.
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of me in Paris - August 1985. The dress is hand-woven. I bought it at a Craft's fair in Honolulu. I wish I still had all that hair!!!

[​IMG]

Taken outside my "flat" in Honolulu in 1986. This is one of my favorite '80's dresses. I wish I'd kept it - and the shoes.
    [​IMG]

This is me on my birthday in 1986 with my DH - we have only been dating a few months at this point:
    [​IMG]

The dress is not a Diane Von Furstenberg - it's a Jeannene Booker but I'll post about it on another thread. I bought it in 1979 - and I still have it! I shortened it which was a mistake...

Another of my favorite '80's dresses. This one is silk - made in Korea. Love the colors and the lines. I could not get into this one now. (But it's long gone...)

[​IMG]

Linn

honeychurch likes this.
  18. denisebrain

Linn...I recognize that beautiful smile instantly! Awesome photos!

19. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

hahaha I just realized that I, too, have the quintessential 80's perm in two of those pics, above!
    :D

Linn -- you are so pretty! And you too, Maggie! Gosh!

20. Linn

Kristine -

Thank you! You look great in your '80's photos. I am getting such a kick out of seeing these. I always preferred a "Classic" look. I was a blonde for a little while in high school and college and in the very late '90's. It looks much better dark.

I think the most "amazing" change is Louise - although Maggie (Denisebrain) with dark hair is different! Maggie - I thought the red- blond was natural. Is the dark dyed?

We should show current photos next - wearing vintage of course.

Linn