1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your old computer files may become unuseable

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by hipvintage, Jul 3, 2007.

1. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

This is something that a lot of people never think about. I have briefly - here & there - but after reading this news article, it really made me think of how I store & file all my computer data.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6265976.stm

Basically, as time goes by, newer versions of programs increasingly don't allow older file versions to be read, thus someday you may have no way at all to access past files, unlike your dusty old file cabinet that you thought was obsolete because of computers!

This includes tax files, letters, personal photos, business documents - EVERYTHING.

Janine

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

That is so true , fortunately there are a very few number of software engineer who covert this sort of challenge and product programs for the present PC's which emulate older computer.

They see it as a programing challenge to test there skills, it also done a lot for developing new micro processors.

A lot of debate about this goes on in our family they see the difficulty not as a software problem more of a hardware issue not having a CD DVD drive in the future capable of reading the present disc format.

If you have a lot of data backed up and you want to store for a while it could be an idea to buy a new drive and keep it for the future.

Software can be written on any PC but you cannot rush into your garden shed and knock up a old cd drive yourself.

3. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

this is a greta idea Paul, l have been so good since my pc died last autumn, and with my new laptop l back eveyrhting onto my memory stick....
    then as l keep mislaying it l added it to my car key ring....no DONT DO IT PEOPLE....l went o get mine on sunday and it wasnt htere its fallen ff somehwere..l have retrace dmys teps left my details at evrvy shop store etc..to no avial....back to disks for a while...then as you suggest a small hard drive, are they pricey paul??

i wont let my self recall what was on there, photos of the kids etc...jeez l'm dumb!!

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Sara
    The back up system I use is for the most important papers is to printed off a copy , then uploaded occasionally onto my web space, and they are also get stored on a external hard drive (about £80) .
    Backing up onto disc is perfectly fine and the cheapest way, in my case I kept loosing the discs.
    Your be more organized than me so discs will be fine to keep items for a few years.

5. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

I SOOOOOOO doubt it Paul, but its nice to know someone is under the illusion!!!