1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yves Saint Laurent Exhibit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yves Saint Laurent: the Retrospective exhibit in Denver, Colorado Art Museum through July8, 2012.
    More than 200 haute couture outfits are on display. Previously in Paris and Madrid, this will be the only stop in the U.S.
    Marian

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Actually, its first stop was Montreal during the summer of 2009 I think it was... and it was FABULOUS. My only complaint about it was that there were too many artifacts. I went through it three times and I couldn't take it all in.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It was breathtaking....I went twice because I could not take it all in the first time!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You too MJ? I can't even remember what was in that middle room with the bridge - there were what 120 evening dresses from the 70s - 90s. I remember one of them was leopard with sequins - that's the ONLY one I remember. But the early stuff was just breathtaking - the African collection was stunning....

5. One of these days I have to do a tour of great exhibitions - they're much skimpier here, with some only having a few dozen displays! Wish I was in NYC to see the Schiaparelli/Prada - anyone seen that yet?

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm pretty sure this is the same exhibit that was at the De Young in SF about 3-4 years ago. It was WONDERFUL!

A friend of mine in NYC saw the Schiap/Prada exhibit and didn't like it. I bought the book. I don't think I'll get there to see it. We'll have to get a review from someone from the VFG!

Linn

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The African collection was my absolute favourite! I could not walk away from it!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Linn, the San Francisco show was the same as the Montreal show - maybe this one is a retooled version. The one in Montreal and S.F. was put together while YSL was sill alive. He died shortly after it opened.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I would love to go, but with only a few weeks left to the exhibit, I can't see how I can make that. You are so fortunate to have been able to attend.

I met a woman recently who had just attended the Schiaparelli -Prada event, and she liked it but did not elaborate much about the fashions. She did keep complaining how extremely crowded it was, and she had to elbow her way in to get a good close look at things. She felt she did not get to experience it the way she wanted to, or the way it was intended to be experienced. She said they let in too many people at once.

She is more a Prada fan (I am decidedly NOT) and I am a Schiaparelli fanatic, so she could not tell me much other than talk about the Prada stuff.

I am very much hoping to hear from a VFG member about the show.

B

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't know why the Met feels they have to do their big costume shows during the summer when attendance is already high... The last show I saw there was their models as muse exhibition and the experience was actually unpleasant. I would rather skip going to the Met than suffer through that herd of hillbillies looking at the museum through their camera phones. My apologies to hillibillies who don't own phones... but I wasn't under the impression that anyone there was actually enjoying the exhibition - I know I wasn't!

11. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The Schaip/Prado show is interesting and worth a visit if you're in NY; I wouldn't recommend a special trip. I came away with a better understanding of Prada. It's still rtw, not couture; but I liked the presentation.

Most of favorite Schaip garments were included and I had examined many in research trips.

I wrote about the YSL for Threads after the deYoung (SF).

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I saw the YSL show in Montreal on one of it's last days (or the last one? I think it was a weekend anyway). Got in early without standing in line when the museum opened, and spent half an eternity there, also going through the collections, just to see my favourite paintings there again (my language school from my first time in Montreal had been next to the museum, so this was a fave haunt for rainy after-school-afternoons). When I came back out, people were lining up all the way along the old museum building on Sherbrooke and around the next corner! Talk about lucky!
    I agree, it was a lot to see and take in, but I absolutely adored it. Nothing else could have given me a better insight into what YSL was all about - of which I admit I didn't have a big idea at the time, at least not beyond the "usual" images from general fashion history books. The African collection was stunning - I'd never seen any of it before and so I found it even more breathtaking. But I loved the Spanish and Russian collections especially too. And it was so much better seeing these incredible pieces "live" than just in a book. What I loved too was that all exhibits were fully accessorized. And I could have killed for those gorgeous boots! I'm an admitted boot-fanatic and these styles were all so right up my street!
    So - I can only recommend it, but make sure you have enough time!

Karin