1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yves Saint Laurent...fake...couture or other?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kateface, Mar 20, 2014.

1. kateface

kateface Registered Guest

Hello everybody,

I just found this jacket in the thrift store and initially got quite excited by what appears to be a serial number of some description, the lack of sizing and the hand stitching.

After trawling the internet for some hours I can find no other examples of the labelling but a few VERY similar jackets. However, every other similar garment has 3-5 cuff buttons, and this only has a single button on each cuff. These are not functional buttons either, just decoration.

On closer inspection I'm starting to wonder whether this is a RTW that has been altered by someone, or it's fake. The presence of handstitching makes me think otherwise though and I'm p-retty stumped by the random 'CA' number.

If anyone has any thoughts or enlightening knowledge I would greatly appreciate it!
    IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

2. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Hi Kate, Forum Trade Members of the VFG are unable to authenticate designer labels on the forums. For authentication we recommend contacting the design house directly.

3. kateface

kateface Registered Guest

Thanks Alice...sorry, I did know that already...I'll re-phrase:

Has anybody seen this type of labeling before and know anything about it?

Thanks! :)

EndlessAlley likes this.
  4. The CA number is Canada's equivalent to a US RN number; so that let's us know the jacket was sold in Canada.

I have had YSLs mens RTW red and white on black label. The lining of the armholes on these pieces have always been hand-stitched.

jauntyrooster likes this.
  5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

YSL numbered its couture labels on the front.

jauntyrooster likes this.
  6. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

As mentioned, we cannot speak to authenticity but as far as rarity, this looks like pretty standard YSL menswear. Not really hard to find and generally well-made. A nice jacket.

Just as a side note: Vintage men's sport coats and suits are frequently without size labels. Even if the garments are labeled with a size, they are usually no longer that exact size as almost everything would have been tailored to the new owner's measurements upon purchase.

Looks like a nice tweed jacket and vintage tweed is very popular right now. Good luck!