1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I bought this vintage dress that I believe is from the 1940s (not 100% sure) and the woman told me she replaced the zipper so I'm assuming it had a metal zipper. She did a good job with replacing the zipper but I was wondering it I should try to put a metal zipper in there instead. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P8081563.JPG P8081565.JPG P8081566.JPG

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

welcome to our forums, Joji!

did you purchase it to wear? or to sell? personally, if I buy a dress that is vintage that has had the zipper replaced with a modern one, and it's for me to wear, I'm perfectly happy with it that way.

and, honestly, if you wish to resell it, just state that the zipper has been replaced with a modern zipper. The metal zips help us date garments sometimes, but as they do tend to have issues over time, having a dress with a zip that works is far better than a dress without, in my opinion. that's what would matter most to me, anyway.

3. Joji Furukawa

Hi Mary! Thank you for your reply and for welcoming me! I did buy it to resell as being a guy, I don't wear dresses but I think that I'll leave it because as you said she probably replaced it because the old zipper wasn't working. There are bite marks around the zipper so it was probably damaging the dress. Also it would be a hassle to redo it. Another question, do you think the lacy flowers are original? Thank you!

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I think the "flowers" are original. I have seen them quite often on 40's and 50's dresses. I think your pretty dress is 1940's, but it may have been shortened. You are lucky if there is no light fading on it, since blue dyes were prone to fading.
    Marian

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. Joji Furukawa

Hi Marian! I don't believe it was shortened becuase the tape that is on the hem is the same tape that is around the arm holes. The only fading is on the shoulders as it was probably hanging for a very long time. Thank you for your help with the flowers!

6. joules

joules VFG Member

Hi Joji!
    That's a nice dress!

Just to add, one more reason to stay with the replacement zipper, would be to minimize the stress to the garment, that removing and replacing the zipper once again, could cause, especially as you've noted the "bite marks" in that vicinity.
    Sometimes, it's best (and easiest) to leave well enough alone.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Joji Furukawa

Hi Joules! Thank you for your reply! I definetely want to put as little stress as possible on it like you said. Will definetely leave the zipper there.

joules likes this.