1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A nice £40 buy: but does anybody know the label 'Percy Martin London' ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Eliza C, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Eliza C

Eliza C Registered Guest

[​IMG]

I bought this dress for £40 in Camden Lock market two months ago. I was lucky as it fitted like a glove. Red velvet with gauze netting and hoops underneath (a little discoloured with age) .

The label says 'Percy Martin London' but that's all there is. I have had a couple of people suggest it's a copy of a Dior new look dress early fifties; and others say no the bow and train at the back suggests it's early sixities.

But the designer is unfamiliar to me; yet the quality is beautiful. I need to get a bullet bra for it though.

I got it to use as a prop for modelling and to wear to the races. I shot this for milliner Pippa Eastman and Bete Noire rockabilly jewellery. And wore the dress to Fontwell Park races where I was 4th in the best dresed lady winning a beauty salon voucher for hair and beauty treatments. The winner also wore vintage btw and won £2k cash !!! But I love the dress even though I normally prefer the pencil skirt silhouette.

It would be great iof anyone had any knowledge about the designer? Or the age of the dress? Doesn't seem to be much on the internet.

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

He is not in the dictionary of designers I have , a photo of the ladle would be a good help and also say close up detail of the dress like the zip could help date the dress and any unique parts of the dress construction maybe.

Eliza C likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

GREAT pic!

Eliza C likes this.
  4. Eliza C

Eliza C Registered Guest

ok Pauline I shall do that in the next day or too thx.
    And thank you Jonathan! x

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Really terrific! It's a great dress, and lucky for you, already.
    Looking forward to more photos.

Eliza C likes this.
  6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, your photo is fabulous! (Is that a Pippa Eastman hat, then?)

Congrats on your prize--sounds like you'll enjoy it! And I, too, look forward to seeing more photos of the dress that may help in dating.

Eliza C likes this.
  7. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Wow, what a lovely photograph. You are stunning.

Eliza C likes this.
  8. Eliza C

Eliza C Registered Guest

Thank you!!
    I shall post more pics when I get chance. I have been entertaining this evening - but will be back online tomorrow xxx

9. MissRita

MissRita Guest

You look fantastic and love love love the dress! Gee, if you took 4th I'd love to see what the other 3 winners wore!

Eliza C likes this.
  10. Eliza C

Eliza C Registered Guest

Thank you! I have a picture:
    [​IMG]

The winner was the lady in white. Second was the lady in the union jack dress.

I have won a few events in different outfits. This was the big one at Cheltenham last year. That was especially nice as my patrtner designed the jacket made from tweed and a recycled mink . The boots are vintage black suede pirate boots that cost a tenner from ebay.
    [​IMG]

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hmm, apologies to the lady in white, but you look far far more stylish, original and classy than she does.

Eliza C likes this.
  12. MissRita

MissRita Guest

No kidding Ruth and 4th to boot - fixed! LOL

Seriously Eliza, you had no competition here.

Eliza C likes this.
  13. Eliza C

Eliza C Registered Guest

That's very kind Rita and Ruth. But I was happy to be placed 4th out of around a thousand entries on the evening. These events are very competitive and each one has different judges etc so they have their own criteria. But they are fun and many wear vintage. xx