1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

info on Buddy Bates label, age of suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, May 19, 2016.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hi all,

I bought this lovely suit several years ago and am wondering if anyone has any info on the Buddy Bates label. I think the suit dates from the 1950s - the skirt has a side metal zipper, is 28 inches long and the department store label looks to me like a 50s label; the only thing that makes me wonder is the font of the Buddy Bates label, which looks possibly early 60s to me. I thought I'd post about it and see what comes up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

buddy 6.JPG buddy 5.JPG buddy 11.JPG buddy 12.JPG

2. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was going to say the suit looks c. 1958 to me - blouson back, jabot, wide collar, large buttons, hem length... I suspect its contemporary to the Pinterest ad.

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  4. Jennifer Kietzman

Thanks Sheila, that does indeed help! The suit in the Pinterest ad is also a pretty one and does indeed seem contemporary to mine.

5. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you, Jonathan!

6. David Brotman

David Brotman Registered Guest

Hi there- Buddy Bates was my dad. He was one of the bigger manufacturers of ladies coats and suits in NYC from the mid- 50’s to the early 70’s. At his height there were 4 labels under the Buddy Bates umbrella, including Betsy Bates (juniors, named for my sister Beth) and Bette Brent (named for his mom and my middle name). Unfortunately the business fell victim to the market forces that killed the garment industry in NY. A great, self made man. After the business closed, he worked for Sassoon until retiring. He passed in 1993. If you have any specific questions let me know! It’s nice that his work lives on.

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

welcome to our forums, David! it's so great to hear from you!

by any chance do you have any garments (or photos of them) from his lines? or newspaper ads showing them? I find it so interesting when relatives of designers and manufacturers drop by here; I think it's nice to be able to document their work here so it does, as you say, "live on."

any photos of him, too, by the way?

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  8. David Brotman

David Brotman Registered Guest

Mary - I have several of Dad's suits, purchased on ebay or etsy for memories sake. This is a photo of Buddy and my Mom circa 1953. BTW, Buddy Bates was a business name, he was born Sol Brotman in Philadelphia, moving later to Brooklyn.
    [​IMG]

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

thanks so much for sharing, David! what a great looking couple!

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President