1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying LL Bean Wool Hunting Jacket Label- 1950's or 1960's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by FlippinFinds, Oct 5, 2016.

1. FlippinFinds

FlippinFinds Registered Guest

Hello Everyone,

New guy here. After reading another thread about LL Bean labels, I'm still a little unclear as to what year this 100% Wool Buffalo Plaid Hunting Jacket might be. I've seen threads that say 1950's and before were the black/gold cursive labels and 1960's were the white cursive labels. However, I've seen a ton of these white labels selling as "1950's" - hence, my confusion. I'm hoping you experts out there might be able to help?

Style: 523B
    Shell: 100% Wool
    Lining: 100% Nylon backed with foam insulation
    Size: Couldn't find a tag, but I tried it on and my best guess is that it's a Men's Large

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thank You!

LL Bean.jpg
    LL Bean 1.jpg
    LL Bean 4.jpg
    LL Bean 2.jpg
    LL Bean 3.jpg

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome!

That is an awesome jacket.

A few years ago I learned from the archivist at LL Bean's that the Black/Gold labels are 50s. So this is later - probably 60s or even 70s. I don't think the age matters, it's such a great piece - that plaid is really fantastic. This style is so popular right now - this should do well for you!

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

The WPL # is assigned to Woolwich.

Probably 80s, my guess. By the info on the care abel and style of collar. Just a quick look. What do others think?

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It really IS a great piece!!

5. FlippinFinds

Thank you both! I haven't found any others like it so far (lined with the print).

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Do you happen to have a close up of the buttons?

7. FlippinFinds

Not one that is clear anyway (I'm not at home right now, but I can provide one later). However, here is an enlarged view of the buttons on the front and of the pocket button. I remember looking at them closely and the front buttons look like plain, hard, brownish plastic. The buttons on the pockets looked like they were painted metal.

LL Bean 5.jpg

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Darn. I can't tell from that picture.

9. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

LL Bean changed from the green/white cursive label to a green/white print label in the late 70s or early 80s.

You can see they were using it in 1982 in these catalog scans from that year

http://archivalclothing.com/shopping-from-1982-ll-bean/

I shudder to think of all the great vintage LL Bean stuff that I passed over during my 35 years of living here in Maine!

10. FlippinFinds

Thanks! So really, it looks like this jacket could 60's or 70's. Geesh, that means there's a lot of misinformed sellers on eBay then. There are many listings showing the white/cursive label and the item is titled as being 1950's.

northstarvintage likes this.
  11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I don't think yours is 60s or 70s (maybe late 70s) because of the label with WPL and other info to the side of the LL Bean label. I've been thinking about this this morning... that WPL # seems a key.

12. FlippinFinds

I wish there was a way to know for sure - scouring the internet, there are claims of 1950's or 1960's - here's an example of a jacket I found that's made from Woolrich. Seller is showing it as 1960's http://www.shopvelour.com/men-outerwear/woolrich-hunting-coat

Same WPL# and Style - except it's 85% wool outer shell.

13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

When I googled the address associated with the WPL #, I found that Woolrich is now at another address down the street. Then I looked into the company history for Woolrich and saw that there was a big consolidation in the early 90s. This was also a # assigned to an importer so I'm guessing it was manufactured overseas. Check out this article about the Woolrich history. http://www.company-histories.com/Woolrich-Inc-Company-History.html

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  14. FlippinFinds

Wow, that's some awesome detective work, thank you!

15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Welcome to my head. ha ha . I spend DAYS going around in circles researching. You ought to see it in there. lol

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  16. Kevin Miller

Kevin Miller Registered Guest

I'm used to see them only in movies! Actually I've liked them always... was a top notch back in days!