1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Outfit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Jun 17, 2017.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

late 60s maybe? It has a side metal zip on the sheer top, the skirt is lined w a metal zip and clasp and tons of ruffles on both. Also a belt (?) sash thing. I couldn't resist it and can't seem to find a one like it online but you guys are always better at that than I am so am looking forward to and appreciate any input! IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You might want to spin the photos so they aren't sideways. Sure would help!

I don't believe this is late 1966s but early 80s... if you snap another picture of the label, without covering up the print to the left of the Rive Gauche, you can tell better. There's a little difference between the 70s and 80s labels there but the font looks early 80s.

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yeah everything from the color to the cut is screaming early 80s to me.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with Cin that it does not look 1960s. However, I see this as mid - late 1970s, but possibly as late as 1980 - 1981. YSL revisited this peasant and sheer ruffled skirt look many times through the 2 decades, and while the colors and geometric pattern certainly do look more 1980s .....I am leaning to late 70s. Can you show us the sash and turn the photos for us, please?

I am sure some others will come along who can help us here too.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

To turn the photos, just click on the rotate button at the bottom of the post box. I am seeing 70s with this and would not be surprised that it might also have had a matching over blouse.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  6. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

thanks everyone! not sure why I can never turn the photos and sorry its so annoying!

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Thought those who commented might be interested- I sold this for an all time record (for me!) price wise to a well known fancy LA vintage dealer who now has it on sale on first dibs! And it is from the 70s. Lucky find

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yea!!

10. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I was about to say seventies when I saw this comment. Wow! I have a feeling I know who you sold it to.

11. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Just in case you didn't notice. The ruffles are skewed. YSL used this a lot on evening wear and underpinings. The have more volume and require less fabric that any other ruffle since they are cut on grain. Dior also used it so I don't know whether YSL saw or used it first at Dior.
    About the same time as this dress YSL did a tiered dress with wider ruffles using the same technique.