1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating this caplet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nichole, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg hi,
    I purchased this caplet and I don't know the date of it. There are no tags. Can anyone be of help?
    Thank you,
    Nichole

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

With the buttons up the back, it looks to me like it might be the top of a dress, rather than it was originally a capelet. Does it open fully, or do you put it over your head?

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  3. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

Hello,
    No, it doesn't open fully. It buttons down so far and then place it over your head. If it's not a caplet what would it be? It would have been part of a dress?
    Thank you,
    Nichole

4. Retro Ruth

I think it was a dress that someone has cut down into a kind of capelet, for some reason. I'm not sure though. Perhaps the rest of the dress was damaged and they wanted to save that lovely neckline. How is the hem sewn, does it look different from the how the rest is sewn?

5. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Hi,
    Here is some photos of the back.
    Thank you,
    Nichole

Attached Files:

6. Retro Ruth

I can't really see enough detail. Perhaps you can tell if you examine the hem closely, whether it looks original or like an alteration. Sometimes it's obvious if you look closely. But sometimes not, if whoever changed it was a good sewer.

And maybe someone else will chime in.

7. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

Hi,
    You are right, it is very difficult to tell. If it was part of a dress and made by someone they did an awesome job. It's very detailed with the netting and the silver studs in the velvet. Also the way the points were sewn on to the netting. I could never do anything like that. I appreciate your feedback!
    Sincerely,
    Nichole

8. I've seen similar fabric and detailing in late '40s-early '50s cocktail dresses but something about the centre back opening makes this look like an altered piece, not fully original.

StitchesandSnags and Nichole like this.
  9. Retro Ruth

All of that I would have thought was original to the dress, and that someone cut it down, just above where the sleeves would start.

Yes, I thought that too.

Nichole likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

I'm thinking it was originally part of a dress that was shaped something like this one.

[​IMG]

TaraIndia and StitchesandSnags like this.
  11. Good work Ruth! I agree.

Retro Ruth and Nichole like this.