1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searched and came to a dead end

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rock that frock, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Rock that frock

Rock that frock Registered Guest

Hello all,

I have searched and searched for this label and have gotten no where. I don't know where you professionals gather your information. But, as always I'm truly amazed. I found a suit in green in the weave style that sold for $30.00 on Posh Mark. There was no other information nation beside "vintage". It did have the same label. I found a Hawaiian shirt on Etsy from the 80s, different label. I also found a swim suit from the 50s on Etsy that was in sad shape. It stated its label was Marina California, no label photo. Also, does anyone know what that weave is? DSC_0011.jpg Can anyone help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Joanne

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Is it a ribbon knit?

Rock that frock likes this.
  3. Rock that frock

Hi,
    That sounds right. I'm just not sure of this label. :::sigh:::

4. Yes, it's either a ribbon knit or a ribbon crochet.

A really hard one to search for because Marina is a thing as well as a name. It would help if you had any additional information eg, date of your garment, then you could search Californian newspaper databases for job ads or marketing. Once you can attach a business owner's name to it, you can find out all sorts of things.

What are you trying to find out about the label?

5. Rock that frock

image.jpeg HI Nicole,

It's a ribbon or crochet dress. I'm thinking 40s or 50s at the latest. It buttons down a little past the waist. The flat buttons are of the same material, it's a hard interior on the button which is flat. On the interior around the waist is that grosgrain ribbon which the tag is attached to. The ribbon connects with eye hooks wrapping around the waist interior. Not sure what it's called or used for? The dress is extremely long in length and has long sleeves. There is no collar on it. That's the only tag inside the dress. I'm going to see if I can upload a file without editing it for size. One more thing, the picture I'm sending is a shortened version of the dress. I took down the hem approximately 4".

How do you look up a California newspaper data base? I'm trying to find out about the label for era and curiosity. Lol

Thank you for your time and help.

Joanne

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Seam binding was used a lot for knitted tops in the eighties in California. Do you have a better photo of the fabric from the right side?

The inside is a ribbon stay to anchor the dress at the waist.

7. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I’m going to take a wild guess here which is that rather than this being a designer’s name that it’s named after the city and state Marina, California.

Marina, California was connected to Fort Ord which was previously an infantry and military post.
    The army and navy’s first maneuvers took place there in 1940.

With this being said this could have been made by a seamstress or in an on site location who tailored clothing for those who lived there or were posted within.

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I am going to guess that Marina is the name of the seamstress/knitter/designer who made the dress. I think your dress is from the late 1980's. I bought this knit dress - don't have it anymore and don't remember if it had a label - at a craft's fair in the 1980's in Honolulu:

[​IMG]

(The photo was taken in Paris in 1985.)

9. Rock that frock

Caryn,

You have so much knowledge it's no wonder you are an administrator! In your opinion, do you think this dress is from the 40's? Or as Claire mentioned previously something from the 80's. Judging by the tag it doesn't look 80's, but what do I know? That's the reason I come to the professionals on the VFG forum. I appreciate everyones help here

xx
    Joanne[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    peaceful vintage likes this.
  10. Rock that frock

DSC_0012.jpg Picture of the fabric. Thank you!

INVINTAGEV likes this.
  11. Rock that frock

12. Rock that frock

Hi Linn,

Did the dress have the same exact label?

Thank you,
    Joanne

13. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

My dress was made by someone who was showing at a Craft Fair in Honolulu. Dressmakers/tailors/seamstresses with small businesses often have labels made and sewn into their pieces. That doesn't mean that Marina wasn't a small company but just that it could have been a small one person business.

Your dress and the label look more '80's to me than earlier.

14. The dress and the label both look older to me. The suit on eBay also looks mid century.

15. Rock that frock

Hi Deborah,

I tend to agree with you.

:)

16. Rock that frock

I love this photo Linn!

17. Linda, raffia is a rougher material not suited to clothing. Crochet ribbon dresses are usually made from rayon ribbon, which I guess also makes them unlikely to be '30s or earlier as you'd need a lot of rayon ribbon and the material wasn't used much then.

Rock that frock, do you have a photo of the dress unbunched from the waist? I'm having trouble discerning the silhouette. Does it have a structured waistline? A belt? Is there much variation in bust-waist-hip measurements? Does it have any shoulder pads? I can't see any through the ribbon but if it has small pads that might suggest a late '40s-early '50s date.

The set on the ebay link looks late '40s to early '50s to me, so if yours has shoulder pads too, it could be contemporaneous.

18. Rock that frock

Hi Circa Vintage,

The ribbon stay ( thanks to Claire, I now know what it's called ) inside the dress hooks together to make that type of waistline. If it were not hooked it would just fall down straight as an arrow. The waistline falls below the natural waist on my dress form, the ribbon stay pulls it up to the waistline and hooks together and therefor gathers it. That's why it looks that way in the photo. No belt or belt loops. Bust is 32", waist is 24", hips are 30" and the length is 51". It had one very thin shoulder pad which I removed, it feels like whatever was in there deteriorated, the pad has a zigzag stitch around it.

Thank you for your help.

Joanne

P.S. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of the dress without the ribbon stay hooked.

19. Thanks Joanne. I’ll stick with late ‘40s to early ‘50s with a note that the hips are exceptionally slim. I hope the crochet has stretch.

20. Rock that frock

Thank you so very much Nicole. I really appreciate all your time and effort to help me!

xx

Joanne