1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Jewelry Workshop - Part I

Discussion in 'Vintage Jewelry 2010 by Linn' started by Linn, Oct 18, 2010.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you Linn...I already know much, much more than before I started reading your first post!

I'm fascinated by the fascination with Juliana, and haven't yet quite got what makes something Juliana. From what you stated I guess it is acceptable to call pieces with certain characteristics Juliana whether or not they are from those 1 or 2 years in the late 60s made by DeLizza & Elster?

What is figure 8 puddling?

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Maggie -

It's only acceptable to call pieces Juliana if they were made by DeLizza and Elster. I call pieces "D&E aka Juliana" or the reverse. Mr. DeLizza prefers that their pieces be called D&E but many collectors refer to the jewelry as Juliana because that is the "popular" name for it. Before the connection was made and there were "Juliana" lists and lots of information available people asked all the time "Is this Juliana?" Now seven years later, more collectors and dealer know how to ID the pieces - and there is a list on yahoo dedicated to this jewelry. You can email Frank DeLizza and ask him to verify your piece.

Figure 8 puddling is an effect that happens in D&E jewelry when the plating "puddles." Here's a link to an enlarged photo that shows this;

http://www.pastperfection.com/pastitempic.asp?InventoryID=6344

I think if you click "back" you will be able to read the explanation.

Linn

3. I was also going to ask about paste stones but I've just read your answer. Thank you so much Linn for sharing your time and all this fabulous information. :wub:

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This is wonderful! I've only just had time to look at it. I've been wanting to get more knowledgeable about jewelry and this is just perfect. I know I'll be back to go over this carefully, and hopefully take it all in.

Really looking forward to the next installments.

Ruth

5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oof - That's a lot of new information for this old brain. Thanks Linn!

6. bycin

bycin Guest

Fascinating. All of this!

About D&E and Juliana. I've sent a pic of a maltese cross pin I have, similar to yours Linn, for verification. It's huge and all rhinestone!

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Glad you are enjoying the Workshop. It will run everyday this week. If you look at Today's Posts on the Forum, Part II was posted earlier today.

Linn

8. ibtiggers8

ibtiggers8 Registered Guest

How do I know it's rhodium? I shared a brooch with a group, one dealer said looks rhodium, another said, no not rhodium!

9. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

This is so helpful Linn, thank you for taking the time to share. Looking forward to getting caught up!

MagsRags likes this.