1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Augusta Auctions Vintage & Historic Clothing Sale

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG News - Announcements and events' started by Metro Retro Vintage, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Mark your calendars for the Augusta Auctions "Vintage & Historic Clothing Sale" at Sturbridge, MA -- May 8 & 9, with a special "discovery sale" at the end of each day.

Online and Absentee Bids are welcome. For more information and to view over 400 lots for sale, visit Augusta Auctions.

Augusta.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I have always wanted to go to this but am so exhausted from buying and selling at Brimfield that I never make it!

4. poppysvintageclothing

I can imagine how exhausted you must be, Susan, doing this show. I have only been once to buy and was exhausted after only a few hours on the field.

I have viewed the catalogs and would love to see what is in the discovery sale!!!
    Tempted to go. Here are a few of my faves but there is so much more to tempt!!!

beachoutfits.jpg

Wrappers.jpg

40s gown.jpg

20s velvet.jpg

1830s.jpg

morning-glorious and cmpollack like this.
  5. Metro Retro Vintage

These are often items that haven't been catalogued yet, and/or items not seen by the auctioneer and thereby sold in larger lots. Sometimes boxes of 'undiscovered' items are sold this way, with a few items pulled out as teasers to get the crowd bidding.

6. Metro Retro Vintage

7. Metro Retro Vintage

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Quick Tip -- Have your finger on the trigger as soon as 'your' lot comes up, since I've noticed that there can be a delay when there is a lot of online activity.

9. poppysvintageclothing

Yes, do watch, because I have noted the delay as well at times and it can really screw up your bid if you wait too long.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I've won (and lost!) both online and in person. You just never know!

I've gotten so many GORGEOUS things from Karen's auctions. Some I got a surprisingly good price on; others I forked over more than I planned to, because I just HAD to have them.

I've attended a couple of the Discovery sales too. Very fast paced, like no other auction you've ever been to!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  11. poppysvintageclothing

12. Metro Retro Vintage

I'm not sure, MJ -- however, I'm going to Live Auctioneers now to view yesterday's results.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

No, a single item! It came to the floor with a hefty online bid on it already (I was there for the tail end of the catalog auction and then the Discovery auction).

A Chinese dragon robe came to the floor with $1700 already bid online.

And these Irish linen smocks went really high too (can't remember t he exact amount, sorry, but it was 4 digits), with warring on the auction floor!

[​IMG]

14. Metro Retro Vintage

Carrie, did you win any lots? It must have been a fun time.

15. Metro Retro Vintage

A reminder that the Kerry Taylor Auctions Passion for Fashion sale is scheduled for June 18 -- just around the corner.

INVINTAGEV and cmpollack like this.
  16. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Laura--I got a big batch of ties and men's accessories, and more fabric swatchbooks from the now defunct American Textile History Museum--one from the 1850s! A couple are marked as from Massachusetts mills; I'm thrilled to be keeping the local history... local! :clapping:

(I'll be posting photos on IG after the precautionary freeze-fumigation is complete...:USETHUMBUP:)

17. poppysvintageclothing

Sounds like she did well...there were some lovely items. Glad you managed to get some items, Carrie! Looking forward to seeing some of that swatch book!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  18. Metro Retro Vintage

Carrie, these wins sound fabulous! I'm going to be checking your Instagram feed every day in anticipation, lol!

cmpollack likes this.
  19. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I’m not surprised that stuff went forbig money. I have never seen buying like this!

20. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I hope Susan is having lots of buyers at Brimfield. Is Jen there too?