1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with dating walking coat and fur identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, May 14, 2018.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello! I would love any help dating this walking coat. It looks perhaps Victorian, but I'm not very sure about the clothing from this era. It has this little pin, but it seems to have been added maybe - looks 1920s. I think the button is missing also. The "fur" is throwing me also. It's very dense, so much so that I can't even look through the hairs to see the skin. It almost seems faux in feel, but it's definitely part of the jacket and doesn't seem to be an add-on. It's super shiny and soft and somewhat long hair length. Thoughts? Thank you!

walk1.jpg walk2.jpg walk3.jpg walk4.jpg walk5.jpg walk6.jpg walk7.jpg walk8.jpg walk9.jpg walk10.jpg walk11.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a real beauty of a coat. Looks 1920s to me. Hard to see all the details and the actual shape, but still has a lot of 1920s going on there. It appears to be evening coat, for dressy wear.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  3. blubirdboutique

Thank you! It is a bit hard to see. I need to re-photograph it.

4. blubirdboutique

Bump! Would love some help with the identification of this fur. Anyone? Thank you! :)

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, I'm sorry I was unable to reply to this sooner. That's a beautiful coat. The fur looks like rabbit.

6. blubirdboutique

No worries - thank you! I wouldn't have guessed Rabbit. It feels so wiry! It must be because it's old?

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am not doubting it is rabbit. But rabbit seems a very odd choice for a 1920s dressy evening coat. Perhaps the collar was replaced and is not original to the coat? Can you show a close up of the fur?

8. peaceful vintage

It really should not feel really wiry if it's rabbit. Very soft, yes. Wiry no. I can see guard hair sticking up in areas that look like those of rabbit but like I said, it should not feel wiry.

If you can, as Barbara said show us some closer photos of the collar in good light. Additionally, I would like to see a closer view of seam line along the edges of the collar in front.

This part right here -
    Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 12.20.48 AM.png

9. blubirdboutique

10. blubirdboutique

11. I'm seeing 20s also. The pin is very art deco.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  12. peaceful vintage

I'm sorry blubird! I didn't see your images there.

Upon closer view it's definitely not rabbit but I cannot tell what else it might be. It is strange how the fur is cut and while the fur is genuine, the value is really in the coat itself. I do see 20s also.

13. blubirdboutique

Thank you!! :)