1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with Catalina swimsuit date

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Jun 7, 2018.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This label seems to be 1950s-era (from the examples in our Label Resource), but the lack of structure? Seems earlier to me. Does anyone have insight on this? Also, to the best of my ability to figure out, the fabric is a jacquard knit of lastex and wool.

Thank you for any help!

1.jpg labels.jpg

P1014611.jpg P1014612.jpg P1014615.jpg P1014616.jpg

2. denisebrain

Anyone able to take a stab at this?

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Newspaper archive shows quite a few with similar labels 1936 - 1938

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.09.57 PM.png

denisebrain likes this.
  4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

This is a puzzler! The style and fabric say late 1930s, but the label and the bra structure say 50s. There was a return to wool suits in the mid 50s, especially by people like Rudi Gernreich and Claire McCardell, and Jantzen did a throwback wool line in 1960. I'd not bet on it, especially without actually handling the piece, but I'm leaning toward 1950s.

denisebrain likes this.
  5. denisebrain

I just wanted to add that this is basically just a rayon jersey lining at the bust, with adjustable ruching but no structure. Does that still seem like 50s?

6. denisebrain

Amanda, is that "Color-Locked Fastest Color Known" in the labels you see?

Thank you both @amandainvermont and @fuzzylizzie for your help!

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I don't actually see any labels Maggie, sorry - I phrased my sentence wrong. I can't find the "color-locked" feature anywhere in the newspaper archive.

denisebrain likes this.
  8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. denisebrain

Thanks Mary! I think I'll run it by her. Maybe she's actually had the same one...I wouldn't be surprised!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

very possibly! her knowledge of swimwear is amazing! (as you know!)

denisebrain likes this.
  11. None of my 1930s knit/wool swimsuits had any lining in the bra area. Just the itchy fabric.

I think it is more 40s.

denisebrain likes this.
  12. denisebrain

Pam @glamoursurf let me know that she thinks it is from the late 40s to very early 50s. Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

None of my 1930s swimsuits have strap buckle adjusters - they all tie together just using fabric loops.
    I also noted the way the brand label is machine made - I can't explain this well but it's the more modern sort of embroidery than earlier labels had. Particularly the way the word 'locked' has little gaps in the letters like pixels.

denisebrain likes this.
  14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Maggie,
    In one database I found 51 ads for Catalina color-locked suits and they all were dated 1953-1955. One 1953 ad noted a suit was “color-locked Chromspun (fastest color known).” Another 1953 ad referred to a color-locked suit of “Chromspun laton taffeta.”

15. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

16. denisebrain

Great info...thank you so much Lynne, and Melanie!

Pinkcoke likes this.
  17. denisebrain likes this.