1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this label look familiar to anyone?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ashers, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

My grandparents owned an antique store for many years and this was given to me. I'm not even sure what it is honestly. It looks like some sort of undergarment with a little flowered collar. There's a snap at the very top then regular buttons down the front. I think the sides are meant to be tied...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Its probably early 1900s but a photo of the garment would help.

Ashers likes this.
  3. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

Ok, I posted one. Sorry, I'm new to all this. ☺

And thank you for your help!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks to be a type of dickie or false front, worn under a lightweight spring or summer suit jacket. Maybe late 1940s to early 1950s, but I am not sure on an exact date.

Very pretty.

Ashers likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was thinking more prewar - if the buttons are plastic, then its definitely postwar, if they are shell, its probably prewar. The term 'American design' makes me think its prewar too - perhaps something made off shore?

Ashers likes this.
  6. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I Google imaged it and it's definitely a dickey however I didn't see any with tags. Also, very few (if any) had the colored embroidery around the collar.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

As far as shell vs. plastic, I tried the 'ole button to the tooth trick and am still not 100% sure. But last night when I was googling/ebaying/etsying dickeys for hours on end (I never realized how addictive this stuff is) I noticed that most were prewar. I actually have another dickey that I might post just for fun. I'm really diggin' this site! ;)

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found ads for Ellbi collars, cuffs, and dickies from about 1941 to about 1951. The 1945 ad here is the closest thing I could find to your item.

A 1942 ad noted: "The tinted embroidery idea has been brought out by Ellbi, one of America's leading neckwear creators. The collars here are from the American Garlands collection."

EllbiDickiesSideTie1945Clip.jpg

9. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

This is so helpful. Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for responding!

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Lynne's research skills are amazing. :wub:

Ashers likes this.
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

:BAGUSE: Thank you for the very-much-undeserved, but kind, comment.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.