1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Algo Paris 50's-60's suit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Sep 20, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi all, me again,

I have this just wonderful suit by Harry Algo Paris (who is not (yet) in the vintage label resource) i'm loving how cleaver they are with the construction and the place marking of the pinstripes on the box pleating of the skirt. And the shoulders are literally my idea of shoulder heaven.

From researching I can find many examples of Harry Algo designs on line all dating to the 50's-60's and have found a few garments with the grosgrain bow from the 60's. I can't seem to find any info on the designer himself though.

Construction wise there are those little inserts under the arms to protect the garment from perspiration but it also has demi shoulder pads?. There is a thin waistband to the skirt (looks quite puffy, more rolled than flat) and a metal zipper. The style of it actually reminds me more of the 40's with the shoulder details but i'm thinking it has to be 50's or 60's?

Any experts from this period who could have a glance? I'm most grateful.

It would be nice to put something in the vintage label resource if we can date it accurately.

IMG_5144.jpg IMG_5153.jpg IMG_5150.jpg IMG_5166.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks more like early 70s to me. The little puffs at the shoulder and the collar are making me think that.

It looks like a wool crepe from the photos and looks like it would have been quite expensive, is that the original price tag hanging from it?

Beautiful suit. You really got an amazing group of impeccable New Old Stock vintage.

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi Mary Jane!

the part of the swing tag which would have had the price is no longer present, but as another piece sold at 'The White House' i'm sure it would have had a heavy price tag.

I did search Harry Algo 70's and found a couple of items, the latest being from a magazine in 1972. The one's with the gross grain bows (a bit of a theme from the looks of things) all seem to be dated for the 60's...but this could also be sellers errors as they are not from datable catalogues etc. Wish I could find out more about the designer and the period he was active.

My mother had similar thoughts to yours, I invited her over to have a look through my four huge boxes of this clothing (and a little dress up) and it was so much fun. This was one of the items she pointed out as being very high quality fabric and construction.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have never been able to find anything about an actual man called 'Harry Algo' in anything I have read about Paris fashion. I am pretty sure it was the name of a company that hired a variety of young designers to produce designs based on haute couture models, but at affordable prices for high end department stores in foreign markets. I found some sketches by 'Harry Algo Paris' which I find suspect, because no designer signs their sketches 'Yves St. Laurent Paris', or 'Christian Dior Paris'. https://picclick.fr/Harry-Algo-Bon-Lot-De-167-Dessin-De-312119928881.html
    They seem to have been at the height of their business from about 1960 to 1972 - we have at least three examples in the collection that are Harry Algo from that era - all well made, high end dresses with high end store labels - Holt Renfrew, or Creeds, Toronto. However, the company was around for longer. Erik Schaix was the artistic director of Harry Algo from 1977 to 1986: https://www.linkedin.com/in/erik-schaix-a1b077ba/?originalSubdomain=fr

GemGem and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wonder if it isn't more c. 1980-83ish? It reminds me of a cross between Jane Fonda in 9 to 5, and Sean Young in Blade Runner...
    Kays-Womens-1983-f-1280x803.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh wonderful research, thank you!

It being a design house rather than individual would definitely fit as The White House certainly had garments made by French maison's of other names. It is also quite possible that it is later rather than earlier as many of the items I have in this lot are late 70's and 80's. I thought this might be earlier due to the grosgrain bow being in many of the (Sold as such) earlier styles. And because there is no care label. I also noticed the disparity of sizing between the skirt waist and rest of the measurements. The waist being very small. The styling of the shoulders seems earlier to me, actually reminds me more of the 40's-60's but of course designers were revisiting and incorporating older styles then too.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi Karin,

Thanks for replying!

Is there anything else I could take a picture of that would help? Close ups of stitching anywhere etc?

9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I found this cited as 1960's Harry Algo, it has exactly the same label. I also noted the turn up cuffs are the same as the suit I have and it also has a bow front. I know these may be signatures and not period specific but was wondering if anyone has seen a label for anything by Harry Algo for the 80's to compare it with?

[​IMG]

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Like you say, different style element can turn up in different decades. And the same label can have been in use over a longer time. It's the shape of the jacket to me, the shape of the shoulder, that double-breasted style... plus that pleated skirt. I think Jonathan's description is pretty good!

GemGem likes this.
  11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Absolutely! I totally agree, It would just be really great to actually see anything later than the 70's for the label as I haven't been able to find anything online.

Do you think it would be ok to send a message to the previous creative director on linkdn?

I'm wondering if people mind getting messages asking for help with dating. I suppose it's all up to the individual... but maybe just asking wouldn't hurt?

Gem

Edit: I'm going to take the plunge and send him a message, anything he could tell us about his time there and his designs would be a boon! Fingers crossed he doesn't mind, and replies.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi again Jonathan,

I have just looked at those beautiful designs again and noticed that there are a couple of suits with very similar detailing to the one I have posted a picture of, especially in picture 12 of the linked designs, although it looks like a different swatch colour. The shoulders, bow and waist (can't see from the waist down) look almost identical. I have messaged Erik Schaix on Linkdn to see if he would be kind enough to help. Thanks so much for your help, windows into the past are so exciting!