1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request to hire some of my pieces, help please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Oct 9, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi all,

I have had a request from a photographer to hire some of my jewellery pieces. A couple i use for props as I do not wish to sell them;for example a vintage Gianni Versace gold tone chain belt and a couple of other items.

They are apparently based in the same city as I am.

Does anyone else hire out/rent their items? I have no idea about how to do this and am very concerned about the pieces becoming damaged or worse still, lost. Experts please help.

Heres a pretty picture as visuals are always nice!

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 14.48.11.png

Gem

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I have no answer for this - we do have some members whose clothing or accessories have been used in "shoots" or for TV/movies. Hopefully someone will speak up. Renting items out for a price scares me - (If they are valuable). I would take lots of photos of condition before hand. Best case scenario - sell them outright. Is the person near you? Perhaps you could be present when the photography is taking place - and then reclaim the pieces right away?

GemGem likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

When I had a brick and mortar shop I was often asked to do this. I learned the hard way this did not always go well.

I think the safest way to do it is to actually charge upfront for the price of the item.

You can decide on the actual percentage fee rental and date of return and make them sign the contract to rent.
    You should also stipulate whatever charge per day you would expect beyond the set date of return.

Once the item is back "on time" refund them the difference of the original price and the rental fee.

I know this is difficult but I remember so well how hard it was for me to get my items back from magazine shoots, photo shoots, etc.

After awhile, I just stopped doing it altogether, unless it really was for a free advertising spread in a newspaper, those usually went quite well for me.

Good luck with this, Gem!

themerchantsofvintage and GemGem like this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I've worked with quite a few stylists over the years, 2 have been great, the others were untrustworthy. If you do decide to lend make sure you get a letter of responsibility from them along with a contract saying what they've borrowed and when they must return.

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thanks for the reply! I am waiting to hear back from them after asking a few questions. I did wonder about being present for it or at least dropping the items off and collecting, it's great idea if feasible. It scares me too!

Thanks so much!

I agree the fee should be upfront and then refund the difference upon return, tbh I'm not sure i'm going through with it. The belt has sentimental value as well as monetary and I love using it as a prop. Your stories are the reality I was worrying about. I'm sorry you experienced it. But also really glad you had those positive experiences with good publicity! Maybe I should stick with only allowing it for press :)

Thanks for the response, I hadn't heard of a letter of responsibility before *googles*, thanks for the advice and sorry you had some terrible experiences. Think I really have to be cautious with this. Could i ask, what type of contract is it? it is a written agreement you write and then you both sign? or is it more formal and actually drawn up by a solicitor? that could get incredibly expensive and hassley.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Might be of help these links. I used to make them sign a more simple paper, dated with the particulars, don't know what others do these days, my Brick and Mortar shop was back in 1979-1989.

Code:
    http://tdsblog.com/pull-agreement/
    Code:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&lei=YIO-W5H6HMT25gKh1K-QAQ&q=letter%20of%20responsibility%20stylist%20example&ved=0ahUKEwi50c-B_PzdAhXiYN8KHff8AIYQsKwBCB4oAQ&biw=1920&bih=916

7. I will weigh in. Every time I did this, it was a disaster. Items damaged, lost or forgotten they were lent, even with contracts.
    I haven't done it in years and will never do so again. It isnt worth it for the loss my one of a kind merchandise

8. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

I agree with everyone above. Based on my own bad experiences, there is a very strong chance your Versace chain belt would "disappear". I've learned to never lend what I don't want to lose.

9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Ok I think I will take all your advice and experience on board and not do it unless it's a case of my being able to be there.

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I've had good and bad experiences with this, but the easiest thing to do is charge the full price and given them back a portion when its returned on time and in good condition. That way if you never see it again, it doesn't matter.

GemGem likes this.