1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geoffrey Beene Boutique

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pocahauntis, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Pocahauntis

Pocahauntis Registered Guest

Hello, I am considering a dress by Geoffrey Beene. It has a huge circle skirt and pleating, looks very late '50s/early '60s. However, it has the "Geoffrey Beene Boutique" label, and in one place on VFG it says he didn't start that label until 1972. However, two very prominent vintage sellers are saying it's '60s. Can anyone confirm one way or the other or clear this up for me?

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

we'd need photos of the item and the label to be able to make any suggestions for you. :)

3. Pocahauntis

beene.jpg
    Here is the label. I would think any dress with this label would have started at a particular time. Just trying to confirm that was 1972, or if there is a possibility it was before.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

late 1960s at the very earliest but if you have a photo of the garment that would help immensely.

5. I would trust the resource as Spring 1972 for the start of the label.

I understand if you don’t want to show the garment itself, but other labels may hold clues. Does the garment have any other labelling? Union, care, or fibre content?

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. I saw a Geoffrey Beene Boutique being shown with a crinoline but it should not have a crinoline. I’m not sure if this is the dress you are looking at but you can see how the back does not look quite right with a crinnie.

I also found another GBB with a similar cut as the one being shown with a crinnie, but in black, on Etsy.

It is 70s.

7. Pocahauntis

Hi, it is being presented as silk. No other labels that I know of. I was hoping there would be documentation of when Beene definitively started using that label. I have some inquiries in at FIT.

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. Pocahauntis

Yes, apparently the Beene company along with all of their archives has been sold to the Philip Van Huesen Corporation. I tried calling them and have not heard back yet from their archivist, but the general person who did answer the phone said that they didn't think anyone has looked into the archives in much detail yet. Do we know of any other entities who conduct research in the vintage fashion world? FIT also directed me to the Beene company.

10. This online google book may be of help:

1B53B1D5-5465-426F-8BB4-0BA6B6284BCD.jpeg

11. Pocahauntis

Thank you Deborah

12. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I did some searching last night, and did find a NYT article from 1970 that referred to the Boutique line being in it's third year. Also that the Bazaar line was one year old. I posted the links to the citations, etc. in the Label Resource thread.

Hollis

13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I *THOUGHT* boutique was late 60s! Excellent info!

14. Pleasure :)

Great sleuthing job, Hollis!

15. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Actually, I misread, it's not third year, but third season. So maybe 1968/69?

16. Pocahauntis

Thanks so much for posting this on this thread, Holly. I was going to tell everyone how helpful you have been and offer the information you gave me, but you beat me to it :) Really appreciate it.