1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What dates might these quilt fabrics be?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by JenniferO, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JenniferO

JenniferO Registered Guest

Found in an on-line auction, this quilt is all cotton. Diagonal strips form squares. All cotton fabrics backed with? Source said it came out of a storage trunk in Alabama. Sturdy construction. Hand stitched. . IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0487.JPG

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I see 1930's and both possibly earlier and later. Scrap bags saved for quilts often covered decades. Lack of any synthetics or blends dates it earlier rather than later.
    Marian

JenniferO likes this.
  3. JenniferO

Any particular fabric that gave you a clue?

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Google reproductions of 1930's cotton prints and you will see many similarities in colors and patterns. Nice piece of folk art.
    Marian

JenniferO likes this.
  5. JenniferO

I took a look! Thank you. I thought the quilter had a lot of fun putting her pieces together in a lively fashion. It was different in that the top was quilted to backing without any batting. Does that tell us something about its intended use? Or?

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Maybe it was to be used as a bedspread or throw rather than for warmth. I can see it across the back of a settee. Enjoy.
    Marian

JenniferO likes this.