1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Dior 1980s? Fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gnemalie, Jul 23, 2019.

1. gnemalie

gnemalie Registered Guest

First post, if I break any rules, please advise.

My husband's mother was married to a Hollywood producer. When she passed away, the step brother got the money and the fancy condo in West LA, and my husband got the household contents, most of which we donated.

Among the contents in my mother in law's closet were several furs. I know nothing about furs.

This fur is the prettiest. It is a Christian Dior, probably 1980s(?), in like new condition. It is reversible - fur on one side, beautiful leather on the other. I have not been able to find a similar coat online. Would like to figure out an approximate value (on this and the other furs) and would like a recommendation for an online appraiser who isn't too expensive if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, being a fur novice, is this mink?

Thank you :)
    Lori

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Just so you know, VFG doesn't give appraisals of value.

3. gnemalie

Yes, I noted that, which is why I asked if anyone had an appraisal recommendation :)

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

Beautiful coat. It’s reversible mink with a fox fur tuxedo collar.

Fur prices are all over the place right now so it would be very difficult for anyone to give you even an approximate resale value if sold today but you would be able to get an appraisal for insurance purposes or for what the value would be if new from any local furrier.

You can also get appraisals online however without someone holding it they cannot assess the condition of the fur and the skins so their appraisal might not be accurate.

5. gnemalie

Thank you! I'm amazed that someone can look at it and know all that.

It really is a stunning coat, and even though fur isn't my thing, if husband didn't need it to settle his mom's estate and pay related expenses, I'd keep this one (the leather is just gorgeous).

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Sorry. Was confused... "Would like to figure out an approximate value (on this and the other furs) and would like a recommendation for an online appraiser who isn't too expensive if anyone has any suggestions."

But Caryn is the best fur person here and anywhere. She really is! : )

gnemalie likes this.
  7. gnemalie

A furrier contacted me after Caryn, and she was spot on on the description (except he said "long haired mink"). #IMPRESSED

peaceful vintage likes this.
  8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Good. Saying long haired mink just means that it is natural length and not sheared.

gnemalie likes this.
  9. Missy7799

Missy7799 Registered Guest

How do I get in touch with Caryn? Brand new on the site and have custom Dior furs I need help with lol